Winchester Ranger Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester Ranger Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Winchester Ranger Ammo

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if you guys had any experience with the Winchester Ranger line of OO buckshots. I recently bought the Winchester Military buck and it sucks, patterns like crap and I later found a review saying they were cheaply built. However I can't find any review on the rangers, I'm looking at buying a box 9 pellet, 9 pellet low recoil and 8 pellet OO buckshot.
Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Funny, i bought some of the win "military" 00 buck and i love it, went and bought more.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

This is the review I was referring to:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=224340&start=0

Out of my 870 with an 18.5" barrel and Modified choke I get the same pattern with the military buck as the Nobel Sport 12 pellet buck.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

the Ranger patterns better than the Millitary stuff and recoils a little softer. If you want tighter patterns than the Ranger look at Federal W/Flightcontrol wad

Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've used both the Winchester Ranger buck and slugs and am very happy with the performance out of my 18" barrel. I agreee with the military buck, it won't pattern well for me at all.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
the Ranger patterns better than the Millitary stuff and recoils a little softer. If you want tighter patterns than the Ranger look at Federal W/Flightcontrol wad
I tried the Federal with Flitecontrol, really great pattern out of my cylinder barrel, however it doesn't pattern as well in my modified choke (probably because the wad get stuck or something). Since I have a modified choke (and even a full one but I don't think I should use it for OO buckshot), I want to find some other loads that will pattern well. It's always good to know how the gun performs with different brands to have a 2nd and 3rd choice in case you can't get the brand you want.

Should I even bother getting a box of low recoil? I have no problem handling the military buck. All I care about is a tight pattern (which includes good range).

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 05-05-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

Gottcha, FC is finicky with anything other than cylinder bore. I have VCS and it improved all my patterns with all ammo I have tried other than FC. I think you will really like the Ranger from your Mod choke.

As far as the low recoil, I have found through reloading my own 00 that the lower power loads pattern better so I like low recoil just for that. If you want this for HD than it will be fine, if you need all the power you can get for hunting, distance than I would probably go full power….in my exp anyway. Low recoil equals lower killing power but has other good benefits for a defensive ammo that makes the power trade off worth it.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #8

Awesome, I'll buy all 3 and compare and load the low recoil for home defense

Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #9

sweet, post your results !

Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

I will, I'm doing an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the loads I'm using along with different choke configurations That's how I'm going to determine my #1, #2 and #3 lol I think the Federal with FliteControl is gonna stay #1!