Winchester Model 97, loose barrel

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester Model 97, loose barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester Model 97, loose barrel

I have this Winchester 97, first year they were built. It's in really excellent shape overall, doesn't appear to have been fired much, but the barrel is kind of loose. There's a fair amount of side-to-side play between it and the receiver. I don't plan on shooting it regularly because of the family heirloom status but I'm going to put a few rounds through it eventually. Any ideas what the cause of this play could be and can it be easily fixed? Do they have shims or something? I want to have some idea of what I'm dealing with before I bring it to a gunsmith.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You DEFINITELY need to take it to a gunsmith to check it's ability to fire safely. He'll also be able to fix it if necessary. I can't tell what it needs without looking at it but have a good idea. It's going to require some gunsmithing work to bring back. The question is whether it'll be worth it to you to fix.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!