Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester Model 21 12ga. SXS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Winchester Model 21 12ga. SXS

It appears that most on this forum are mostly interested in tactical, or pump shotguns in general. So this post might not attract much viewing interest, but I'll try to make it a little interesting. Maybe I'm gettin' to be just an old buzzard who's thinking is antiquated. That may be so, I've always had a love for doubles. The guard on the stagecoach, or the old bank guard always got my undivided attention when he blasted both barrels. I see their graceful design as a thing of beauty and a pleasure to shoulder.

I own several very fine SXS shotguns among my other shotguns, which I'm also very fond of, but some of mine go back to the 1890's in England and I always wonder who had them and where did they go and what did they shoot.

The one I'd like to show now may actually be my favorite even though there's no fancy engraving like it appears on the others. This is a field grade Winchester model 21 mfg in 1949. It was owned by an old Winchester gunsmith when a friend of mine that I worked with bought it from him. Winchester considered this their finest shotgun and others credit it with being the strongest double in the world. A total of only 30,000 of these shotguns of various grades were made.

My friend fortunately for me got married to a lovely girl who lucky for me was into showing hunting dogs which is costly, so naturally the gun had to go as well a couple of beautiful Browning engraved medallions in 30-06 and 300 Win mag that my uncle bought.

This was 1981 and I didn't have much money so I was forced to part with a WWII captured Walther, AC43, P38 w/holster and a pre-war Walther PPK .32 commercial in minty condition and holster with capture papers from the European Theatre. I loved them, but wanted the shotgun more. I still had to come up with a couple of hundred dollars to pay him. He wanted $1100 and at the time that same shotgun was selling for $1700. I couldn't pass it up. It took almost 2 more months of saving, but I finally paid him.

The shotgun has a single selective trigger, solid rib, 28"full/mod chokes with a beautiful stock. The stock's comb was professionally raised and a Pachmyer recoil pad was added. The checkering is 22 lines per inch.There's wear at the bottom of the receiver from being held, but the barrels are 98% blue remaining.The word safe is gold layered and the fancy feather crotched wood has just a few minor handling marks with lots of lacquer remaining.

These shotguns are considered custom made and are made to the customers specifications in several grades up to Grand American that can run 50, or 60,000 bucks. I've seen some for higher, but I'm content with mine. I've shot clays over the years and always have people coming over to try it out. It has a profile that I can recognize from a block away with other guns. I'd like to go bird hunting if my back ever lets me walk right again.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
It appears that most on this forum are mostly interested in tactical, or pump shotguns in general. So this post might not attract much viewing interest, but I'll try to make it a little interesting. Maybe I'm gettin' to be just an old buzzard who's thinking is antiquated. That may be so, I've always had a love for doubles. The guard on the stagecoach, or the old bank guard always got my undivided attention when he blasted both barrels. I see their graceful design as a thing of beauty and a pleasure to shoulder.

I own several very fine SXS shotguns among my other shotguns, which I'm also very fond of, but some of mine go back to the 1890's in England and I always wonder who had them and where did they go and what did they shoot.

The one I'd like to show now may actually be my favorite even though there's no fancy engraving like it appears on the others. This is a field grade Winchester model 21 mfg in 1949. It was owned by an old Winchester gunsmith when a friend of mine that I worked with bought it from him. Winchester considered this their finest shotgun and others credit it with being the strongest double in the world. A total of only 30,000 of these shotguns of various grades were made.

My friend fortunately for me got married to a lovely girl who lucky for me was into showing hunting dogs which is costly, so naturally the gun had to go as well a couple of beautiful Browning engraved medallions in 30-06 and 300 Win mag that my uncle bought.

This was 1981 and I didn't have much money so I was forced to part with a WWII captured Walther, AC43, P38 w/holster and a pre-war Walther PPK .32 commercial in minty condition and holster with capture papers from the European Theatre. I loved them, but wanted the shotgun more. I still had to come up with a couple of hundred dollars to pay him. He wanted $1100 and at the time that same shotgun was selling for $1700. I couldn't pass it up. It took almost 2 more months of saving, but I finally paid him.

The shotgun has a single selective trigger, solid rib, 28"full/mod chokes with a beautiful stock. The stock's comb was professionally raised and a Pachmyer recoil pad was added. The checkering is 22 lines per inch.There's wear at the bottom of the receiver from being held, but the barrels are 98% blue remaining.The word safe is gold layered and the fancy feather crotched wood has just a few minor handling marks with lots of lacquer remaining.

These shotguns are considered custom made and are made to the customers specifications in several grades up to Grand American that can run 50, or 60,000 bucks. I've seen some for higher, but I'm content with mine. I've shot clays over the years and always have people coming over to try it out. It has a profile that I can recognize from a block away with other guns. I'd like to go bird hunting if my back ever lets me walk right again.
That's a beautiful gun there Smoke. You are right in a SxS being a thing of true beauty.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

some of us still consider the SxS a true classic of a shotgun! good looking shotgun there Gunsmoke!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
That's a beautiful gun there Smoke. You are right in a SxS being a thing of true beauty.
Thanks Marlin, I worked real hard and had many sleepless nights before I got it. It hurts a lot letting things go that you really love and had trouble getting as well, but you have to do what's best, but you never get the other guns out of your head no matter how good you traded up. Glad you appreciate a nice double.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post

Thanks Marlin, I worked real hard and had many sleepless nights before I got it. It hurts a lot letting things go that you really love and had trouble getting as well, but you have to do what's best, but you never get the other guns out of your head no matter how good you traded up. Glad you appreciate a nice double.
I have several at the shop

Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I like a sxs. I bought a savage 410 sxs a few years ago and gave it to my daughter. Sweet gun, has the double trigger. You would be hard pressed to find a quicker follow shot in the industry.

I'm jeolous gunsmoke. Damn fine gun.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #7

Liked 122 Times on 92 Posts

Outstanding gun there. I love a Model 21 in a 12 gauge. A bit heavy in the smaller gauges compared to the competition, but undoubtedly hell for stout. They are as good a SxS as has even been built, anywhere. They do not handle like an English SxS, but very few of them would survive a diet of what a Model 21 can take in stride. I love the shallower break angle, too. I am surprised no one else has EVER copied the longer water table. I always wanted a Heavy Duck, but even when I could afford it that was just too much discretionary income to sink into a duck gun that might get dunked and need complete teardowns too often. Plus, I install sling swivel mounts on all my guns and that might have been sacrilege. I have tried slings like yours but potential finish damage is too great for me where you can't not get mud on stuff as in waterfowling.
Life is all about choices. I think you made a real good one.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I am a big SXS fan, so this thread captured me almost instantly. That is just a beautiful gun! After all those years the bluing is at least 98%. Just an all around awesome shotgun you got there.

-Matt

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #9

I want to thank all for the compliments. I wasn't sure how many here felt about doubles the way I do, especially those in the younger age group. When I bought it I really gave up a lot and did without certain things for myself in order to have it. I even gave up eating at work for a couple of months to save a few bucks.

I love all guns, but too much is written about the current crop of autos, while those guns that time has tested and proved to be very capable seem to be for the large part dismissed and forgotten. There's something about a gun that wasn't made with a computer. I do have others that I'll post in the future.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #10

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
I want to thank all for the compliments. I wasn't sure how many here felt about doubles the way I do, especially those in the younger age group. When I bought it I really gave up a lot and did without certain things for myself in order to have it. I even gave up eating at work for a couple of months to save a few bucks.

I love all guns, but too much is written about the current crop of autos, while those guns that time has tested and proved to be very capable seem to be for the large part dismissed and forgotten. There's something about a gun that wasn't made with a computer. I do have others that I'll post in the future.
I am one of the younger members (very early 20's), and have always loved SXS doubles. I personal am not a big fan of "tactical" shotguns. I like the wood and blued steel long guns.

-Matt