Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester Model 1897

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Steel shot should only be fired from chrome lined barrels.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Steel shot should only be fired from chrome lined barrels.
I agree.
Steel Shot will damage the bore of a vintage shotgun.
Steel Shot wasn't available back in the day.
It can also be considered a modern designed ammo, if you will.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #23

Im in a similar predicament as the original poster, i also have a 1897 in the riot configuration, and i can't seem to get a lock on parts for this beast. Does anyone know where parts can be located? i want to get this firing again!

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #24

SHIFTY,

I've seen some of these shotguns & their parts for sale at vintage firearms gun shows. You living in Commyfornia...do they have gun shows there?
If they do check with some vintage firearm dealers about some up-coming vintage gun shows.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
SHIFTY,

I've seen some of these shotguns & their parts for sale at vintage firearms gun shows. You living in Commyfornia...do they have gun shows there?
If they do check with some vintage firearm dealers about some up-coming vintage gun shows.
Amazingly yes we do, one is coming up here in a week or so. I'll check it out! Thanks for the tip!

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #26

Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I just want to say that on every forum that I've been on the same questions are asked about the model 1897 riot and trench guns. I've owned guns for over 50 years, since I'm a kid. Concerning these shotguns, if someone wants to know for sure whether their's is original, or not, then contact the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming. They have most of Winchester's records. I finally after many years purchased one myself a few years ago. It was a clean early riot version that someone in this gunshop decided not to buy and handed back to the salesman. I grabbed a hold of it, end of story. But I even was leary about it being genuine. It had character showing alot of brown patina and well cared for wood. It was in the 101,000 ser# range, which made it very early. It had a rounded pistol grip and cyl choke, as well as a solid frame and metal butt plate. The only thing that bothered me was a couple of marks on both sides of the barrel forward of the receiver. I was afraid that someone either had this in a vice to cut down the barrel, or someone attempted to remove the barrel to possibly put a longer barrel on for hunting. I liked it, so I bought it. Needless to say I've shot it and it's got the sweetest action that I've ever felt on a '97, but after looking at it in my safe for so long I couldn't resist contacting Cody for a letter. I admit it, I hesitated for so long, because I was afraid what would be in that damn letter. Well, after waiting 4 weeks the letter finally arrived and bingo!! It said that this shotgun was a 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel and was a riot. It was received at the warehouse on June 26, 1900 and shipped September 19, 1900, destination who knows. My point is that I know what I have and if I were to sell it can document it. The letter was worth $60. Even an expert on the internet can't match a factory letter. I got no more to say.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #27

Sorry, but there is something else I'd like to say, which may help with purchasing an old riot shotgun. Trench guns don't have front sights, but if you examen the finish on the barrel surrounding the bead front sight on a riot, it may divulge proof that the sight had been put there after the barrel was cut. More than likely the finish will have been disturbed during the process. That was something that I looked for when examening the brown patina on the one that I purchased. Just something to think about.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #28

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY View Post
Im in a similar predicament as the original poster, i also have a 1897 in the riot configuration, and i can't seem to get a lock on parts for this beast. Does anyone know where parts can be located? i want to get this firing again!
Try Numrich. www.e-gunparts.com

Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Sorry, but there is something else I'd like to say, which may help with purchasing an old riot shotgun. Trench guns don't have front sights, but if you examen the finish on the barrel surrounding the bead front sight on a riot, it may divulge proof that the sight had been put there after the barrel was cut. More than likely the finish will have been disturbed during the process. That was something that I looked for when examening the brown patina on the one that I purchased. Just something to think about.

Try to get them when you can. They're becoming scarcer and scarcer and prices just keep getting higher, which is understandable. They're terrific classic shotguns used by 1800's lawmen as well as outlaws towards the end of their century. They entered the 20th century with a great advantage and again were used by both LE and criminals, because they knew how devesatating they were. Even the military had great use for them as both riot and trench guns in the Spanish American War, the Phillipine campaign and WWI as a trench gun. They were even carried into Mexico while chasing Villa. You must do your homework regarding their authenticity before purchasing. Once you own one you will then understand how fortunate you are holding such a wonderful piece of history in your hands.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 09-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.