Winchester guys I need some info.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester guys I need some info.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Winchester guys I need some info.

Several Winchester questions.

My wife shoots a model 120 20ga and I cannot find parts for it. I read on another forum that the 120 is the second generation 12 and the precursor to the 1200. One guy made a comment that 120 and 1200's parts are interchangable, but the comment was ignored with no confirmation or argument.

Anyone have any knowledge or advice?

Second question,
I have a 1400 as well that I absolutely love, and I was wondering is the 1400 considered a good gun? Maybe like the Remmy 1100 or not? Kind of running into the same problem with this gun. Very limited parts support.

Thanks guys

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #2

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

Going strictly on recollection, the 120 was a lower cost 1200, plain uncheckered stock, etc,. but not at all sure about that one.
The 1200 and 1400 shotguns from Winchester were not well regarded, at all. The 1200 was known to break parts, among the most prevalent being the action bars where they were spot welded to the fore end tube.
The 1400 was considered very unreliable in functioning.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #3

Thanks Virginian, you have a pm.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FYI, If you want the equivilant of the Rem 1100 in a Winchester you need to go back to the Super X Model-1, which hasn't been made for many years.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
FYI, If you want the equivilant of the Rem 1100 in a Winchester you need to go back to the Super X Model-1, which hasn't been made for many years.
Thanks, but I'm sure you guys are starting to notice a trend in me posting a lot of different questions about shotguns, from Remingtons to Winchester. I have too many field/trap guns and I am trying to decide which to keep for the long haul based on parts availability and durability.

I currently have the
1100 20ga magnum
1100 12ga
1400 12ga
120 20ga
AL391 Trap Gold.

My thoughts are to swap the internals on the two 1100's because the reciever on the 20 ga is in great shape and the 12ga has been powder coated because the previous owner didn't take care of it. The 20ga will be a loaner gun, the 12ga will be my clays gun(I am planning on attempting an adjustable comb), the Beretta will be my Trap gun and the 1400 as long as it will hold up will be my field gun.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The 120 is the "Express" of the Winchesters. Bare bones, no frills, but mechanically the same. All parts interchange with the appropriate four digit model. I have a 120 that is just a good as my 1200 and 1300.

As far as I am concerned the 1200 is a very good shot gun. I have a 1200 defender I bought new in 1982. It has at least 5k through it and has never given me the first bit of trouble.

My agency was probably the single largest user of Defenders. We had over 350 in the inventory. We started aquiring them in 1985. I have seen 3 or 4 action bars broken over 20+ years. In comparison, I have seen at least that many shell stops come unstaked on 870's in the last 5 years.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Thanks Robo. That was what I was hoping, but I couldn't find any info about the 120. I cannot get my wife to give the 120 up which is fine, but I couldn't find any parts for the "120" specifically. My wife was pretty disappointed when I told her "as far as I could find there are no parts for the 120." I'm glad I was wrong.

Any other opinions on the 1400?

Thanks again Robo
Darin

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-14-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9149 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

For future reference- when trying to figure if parts swap, quick check- go to Numrich on line parts catalog (gunpartscorp.com) Look up make, model and a specific part (firing pin, extractor, widget retraining brace spring screw stop) and note the PARTS NUMBER- not the 1 or 2 digit number, but the LONG number that Numrich uses. Then go to the other model and look at same part. Same number= same part.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For future reference- when trying to figure if parts swap, quick check- go to Numrich on line parts catalog (gunpartscorp.com) Look up make, model and a specific part (firing pin, extractor, widget retraining brace spring screw stop) and note the PARTS NUMBER- not the 1 or 2 digit number, but the LONG number that Numrich uses. Then go to the other model and look at same part. Same number= same part.
Thats a great reference. Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Just be aware of the exact replacement. There are some subtle differences between the 1200 and the 1300. I am not sure if the 120 was ever made as a bare bones 1300. Mine is pure 1200. Bolt carriers and ejectors are different. The bolt carrier MAY interchange. The ejector is different. Barrels, stocks and trigger groups are the same.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball