Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Winchester "Blind Side" Hex shot (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/winchester-blind-side-hex-shot-72905/)

thefarmboy21 09-21-2012 05:59 AM

Winchester "Blind Side" Hex shot

Anyone tried the blind side shells? Was wondering about these for home defense rather than sporting. Now I know 3" and 3 1/2" shells are a little much, but the idea would make a very good home defense round if they tweaked it some. Hex shaped shot stacked for more pellets not to mention they claim it has more knock down power than the conventional ball style. Seems like a 2 3/4" shell with large shot would be great IMO. Anyone else wanna chime in???

Virginian 09-21-2012 11:35 PM

For over 100 years rounder was better. Now it isn't? I ain't buyin' it. Somehow I believe it is tied to cheaper to manufacture. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

dragunovsks 09-22-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian
For over 100 years rounder was better. Now it isn't? I ain't buyin' it. Somehow I believe it is tied to cheaper to manufacture. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

I agree, my fil hates using federal shells cause he says the shot isn't round and therefore isn't accurate and won't pattern for sh**. True? Idk

But I can't see how "squaround" shot flies better than round.

ineverFTF 09-22-2012 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I dont think it was meant to "fly better" i think it was designed to tear up more flesh on impact.

The rounder buckshot will penetrate easier than a squareish shot.
Attachment 60114

Attachment 60116

Being squareish the shot in theory will transfer more energy to the target or BG than standard buck shot.
Just my thoughts on the stuff.

Edit: Did a little research and the OP is right. They can stack a butt load of these things in there.
They may be smaller but i still think that squareish shot will hit with more power than the round shot.

One last edit sorry. Found a pic of the stuff in the shell.

Attachment 60117

Obviously computer generated but an accurate representation none the less.

thefarmboy21 09-23-2012 02:32 AM

Yes I wasn't saying it was more accurate but

thefarmboy21 09-23-2012 02:38 AM

BUT they claim it does more traumatic damage. Even read some reviews saying they shot ducks with both and when hit with a good shot, the ducks didn't continue to fly and bleed out, they were just literally stopped and fell outta the sky. One of Winchester's ads says that they hit like a ton of bricks, or some variation of that. I was just saying a load of 00 or #1 shot stacked in there would probably get you more shot and more damage so I would think. I mean just like FMJ's and hollow points....a FMJ will just fly straight through as a hollow point creates tons of damage after it spreads (most being to a flattish surface) to it's purposed shape.

Virginian 09-23-2012 03:03 PM

Its still steel, so I am extremely suspicious of the "hits like a brick" stuff. And if all this weird shape stuff was true as far as improving terminal performance I would think someone would have discovered it worked in something else in all these years.
I'm still mad all my work on patterns with nickel plated lead got trashed. Before I die, I want to meet one (1) "environmentalist" who is for something. Anything. Just one.

NickySantoro 09-23-2012 07:49 PM

Looks like a marketing gimmick to me.

Blueguns 09-25-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks

I agree, my fil hates using federal shells cause he says the shot isn't round and therefore isn't accurate and won't pattern for sh**. True? Idk

But I can't see how "squaround" shot flies better than round.

In my experience federal has patterned better than most. It's always been my first choice.

Virginian 09-25-2012 11:51 PM

I have never seen anything factory pattern better than the Winchester Super XX buffered copper plated stuff.