Winchester 1897 16 Gauge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester 1897 16 Gauge

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Winchester 1897 16 Gauge

I had completely forgotten but my grandfather left me a 1897 16 gauge. I'd like to tear it down an clean it and take it out shooting. However, I had a couple a questions. Hopefully someone has the answers.

1. I was wondering when this gun was manufactured? There's a shot of the serial below.

2. How much would this gun be worth?

3. Most importantly, can I use modern shells in this gun?

Thanks,
Clint





__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
davemccarthy707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 758
Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I had completely forgotten but my grandfather left me a 1897 16 gauge. I'd like to tear it down an clean it and take it out shooting. However, I had a couple a questions. Hopefully someone has the answers.

1. I was wondering when this gun was manufactured? There's a shot of the serial below.

2. How much would this gun be worth?

3. Most importantly, can I use modern shells in this gun?

Thanks,
Clint





1-1907
2-I would easily pay 800-1000 for that here in Canada.
3-No problem shooting modern 16 ga as long as its not steel shot.
__________________

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

davemccarthy707 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 459
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I am away from my books at present but I believe the 16 guage shells in 1907 were only 2 9/16" long instead of the normal 2 3/4" of todays ammo. As for the firearm itself I see no reason to "tear it down" and clean it. More damage has been done to firearms by improper cleaning and disassembly than by neglect. This is a great looking firearm that should be left just as gramps left it. Any alteration or refinish will be forever removing this grand old guns history.

__________________
30-30remchester is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
1-1907
2-I would easily pay 800-1000 for that here in Canada.
3-No problem shooting modern 16 ga as long as its not steel shot.
Wow!

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I am away from my books at present but I believe the 16 guage shells in 1907 were only 2 9/16" long instead of the normal 2 3/4" of todays ammo. As for the firearm itself I see no reason to "tear it down" and clean it. More damage has been done to firearms by improper cleaning and disassembly than by neglect. This is a great looking firearm that should be left just as gramps left it. Any alteration or refinish will be forever removing this grand old guns history.
Hmm...

That's concerning. When you have a chance to look through your info could you let me know for sure on the shells?

Also, I have absolutely no desire to try and "restore" the gun. I know that altering the gun from it's current cosmetic condition would be a crime and would only hurt the value of the gun. No, what I meant was a cleaning and lubrication of the internals.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

A beauty of a 16ga! I'm a huge fan of 16s and would be happy to add that one to my collection. Take care of it.

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BillM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Amity
Posts: 1,017
Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

It's chambered for 2 9/16 shells. The 97 is a strong action, and running
some 2 3/4 light loads through it won't hurt it, but to do it right have a
gunsmith lengthen the chamber for 2 3/4 ammo. I had it done on my old
97 16 ga, and it functions just fine. Really doesn't have any negative
effect on value.

Value? Around here (Pacific Northwest) a good functional 16 ga 97
without a lot of finish left on it will go $150-$300. 16 ga isn't real
popular in this area. In 12 ga you can double those prices---the
cowboy action shooters grab them fast.

__________________
BillM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
A beauty of a 16ga! I'm a huge fan of 16s and would be happy to add that one to my collection. Take care of it.
Thanks!

Now that I'm aware of it, it's going to be taken well care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
It's chambered for 2 9/16 shells. The 97 is a strong action, and running
some 2 3/4 light loads through it won't hurt it, but to do it right have a
gunsmith lengthen the chamber for 2 3/4 ammo. I had it done on my old
97 16 ga, and it functions just fine. Really doesn't have any negative
effect on value.

Value? Around here (Pacific Northwest) a good functional 16 ga 97
without a lot of finish left on it will go $150-$300. 16 ga isn't real
popular in this area. In 12 ga you can double those prices---the
cowboy action shooters grab them fast.
It seems we have some old rounds that were being fired in the gun regularly back when my grandpa had it. I'll have to go look and see what they were using. My father is telling me that they were 2 3/4. I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out and see if it's already been lengthened. If not, I just might have it done.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Liked 9138 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

The 2 9/16ths shells (aka 67mm) are getting hard to find. There ARE some 2 1/2 shells out there (Old European standard size). RST Shotshells


Or, get a loader, trim your hulls to length, and roll your own-

Or find a smith- he will need to extend the forcing cone in the barrel, and MAY need to open the ejection port a hair.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
davemccarthy707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 758
Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Wow!

Thanks for the info.



Hmm...

That's concerning. When you have a chance to look through your info could you let me know for sure on the shells?

Also, I have absolutely no desire to try and "restore" the gun. I know that altering the gun from it's current cosmetic condition would be a crime and would only hurt the value of the gun. No, what I meant was a cleaning and lubrication of the internals.
Sorry I mislead you. I forgot about the old 2 9/16 inch 16 ga shells.
__________________

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

davemccarthy707 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saugus,California
Posts: 123
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

That's a beaut!
I love old guns.
If/when you shoot it, your sweat melds with your Grandpa's.
I love the nostalgia of knowing who held the firearm, the life and times of it's history.

http://www.google.com/search?q=winchester+model+1897&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

__________________
Sonnypie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Winchester Model 1897 jhawk73 General Shotgun Discussion 28 09-22-2012 08:55 AM
Winchester 12 gauge trap cartridges Davyboy General Shotgun Discussion 0 11-20-2010 04:25 PM
Winchester Model 12 12 gauge. Shihan General Shotgun Discussion 20 11-06-2010 08:22 AM
Winchester Ammo Super X Buckshot by Winchester 12 Gauge sale truehuntersupply Sponsor Display 0 04-24-2009 03:42 PM