Winchester 1200 Field into Home Defense Help/Options
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester 1200 Field into Home Defense Help/Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester 1200 Field into Home Defense Help/Options

I had an an old(70/80s) Winchester 1200 shotgun given to me, like this(this one's in way better shape).

But it's in good working order.

I'd like to make it into a tactical shotgun(like the pic below)

for home defense and to replace the beat up wood on the current gun for looks.

Problem is, it's a 16 gauge. Hard to find parts for it, it seems.

As far as the stock and forearm, it's all the same, right? A tactical stock/forearm will fit any gauge... 12, 16 or 20... as long as it's for a 1200, correct? Or am I wrong? I've found tactical kits for the 1200 online. But they always say 12ga, I assume b/c it's the popular gauge. ???

And I'd really like to find a tube extendeder to increase its shell capacity... where could I find one for a 16ga 1200? No luck anywhere at all.

Also, the barrell... I'd like to shorten it to the shortest legal size. Can I just buy a shortened 16ga barrell? Where? Again, no luck online. I'd like to keep the original and not cut it. I want to preserve all the original parts so i can put it back to original.

If I HAVE to cut it, is that possible? Will a gunsmith do it?

Also, I know a 16ga is not ideal for home defense, but it was free and it's what I have. But it's simply too unwieldly in it's current form(mainly the long sport barrell) for home defense IMO. Something like the pic would be great. As well as being able to preserve the original parts.

Thanks a lot!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

#1 - 16 ga is not the best for HD use because of the limited offerings in ammo. You may be better off trading it for a 12 ga. 16's have a cult like following. If you find a 16 ga afficianado, they will want your gun. 1200's in 16ga are not very common and may be a bit collectable.

#2 - Stocks and forends are the same regardless of gauge. That part is easy. Barrels are nearly impossible to find in 12 ga much less 16 gauge. Extended mag tubes are non existant in 16ga. I suppose you could have one custom made but that would negate the cost effectiveness of the project.

#3 - You can cut the barrel to no shorter than 18". Doing so will remove any choke and give you a cylinder bore barrel. That is not a bad thing. Any decent gunsmith can do that for you. With a vent rib, you should adjust the length to correspond with the attachment points of the rib.

Even 20 ga has better offerings for HD ammo than 12 ga. My advise, make a trade for a good condition 1200 or 120 (Ranger) model in 12ga and do your mods to that one.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #3

I agree with robocop. I got a 20ga 1200 the other day and have a pistol grip for 12ga 1200 on it. The fitment is good. Forend is still backordered so dont know about that yet.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

If anybody needs a shortened 1200 barrel in 20ga, I have one listed here pretty cheap:
Winchester 1200 shotgun barrel 20ga Win 20 gauge : Barrels at GunBroker.com