Win. 1300 Bayonet?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Win. 1300 Bayonet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Win. 1300 Bayonet?

To make a long story short......... just received my "new" M5A1 bayonet from the CMP and put it on my Garand. Wow, is that an intimidating combo! So I'm thinking that in the case of massive civil unrest (no I'm not a paranoid or a doomsday freak but I do remember the TV clips on the Rodney King riots and the looting mobs after Katrinia), I would want a gun that literally screams, "STAY AWAY - go some where else!". I feel you are better detering people away from your home than shooting them and ending up in court afterward. Anyway, the most visually effective deterent I can think of is a short-barreled, high-capacity shotgun with a bayonet. I know Mossberg makes one but I don't have the $600-$700 it would take to buy one. Here is what I'm thinking: I take my Win. 1300 Defender, a CETME bayonet, and some heavy black-insulated house wire. I grind out the barrel mount hole in the bayonet to about 1 inch (there is the metal to do this), thin it down a little, unscrew the mag cap on the shotgun and insert. I wrap the wire around the length of bayonet handle for more stability. I would have to grind some of the rubber on the bayonet handle to make it flush with the magazine tube. I know that this is not a perfect concept but I'm only looking for a visual effect.

Please let me know if you have a better idea or I'm missing something.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Unless a bayonet is solidly mounted, you can break the shotgun, leaving you with a poorly designed club.

You want intimidation? Ever see the bayonet on a Moisin-Nagant 91/30?

moisin-nagant.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Trade your 1300 towards a 1897?
Winchester Model 1897 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Here is what I'm thinking: I take my Win. 1300 Defender, a CETME bayonet, and some heavy black-insulated house wire. I grind out the barrel mount hole in the bayonet to about 1 inch (there is the metal to do this), thin it down a little, unscrew the mag cap on the shotgun and insert. I wrap the wire around the length of bayonet handle for more stability.
Here is what I'm thinking: You are going to end up hurting yourself.......

Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The steel of the barrel loop on the bayonet is pretty thick on the CETME/FR-8 bayonet. You will lose several turns on the mag tube. This may be enough to cause some major issues. DON'T DO IT!!

Find something purpose built.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can fix you up with one of these babies for the right price:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

For the reason ROBO cited I will abandon the project. I have an M44 and two M91/30's with bayonets. Problem is the slow engagement times for multiple targets at short range. For the shear visual deterent of protecting my home and family I'll stay with the M1 Garand/M5A1 combo. If it would get "ugly" at least I'll have 8 quick shots.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like you made a wise decision. Although I am a bit disappointed that you didn't like the Bubba tactical shotgun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Out of curiosity, did you happen to see the episode of "Pawn Stars" in which a customer brought in an ooooooooooold double barrel BP shotgun with a top-mounted, spring-assist bayonet?

I did & my first thought was "do want".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When it came to the M5A1 bayonet for the Garand, the Norwegians had the right idea.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov