Will my gun shoot a slug?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Will my gun shoot a slug?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Will my gun shoot a slug?

I bought my son a Remington express 12 guage super mag, it has a modified choke, can you shoot slugs with this setup? Or does it need a different barrel? Or no choke in it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I have a REM 870 tactical that's chambered for 2 3/4" or 3". It shoots rifled slugs very well. I would suggest removing the choke. It will either ruin the choke or make the slug inaccurate.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Of Course It Will

You will have no problem firing a slug through your barrel. Some choke is usually suggested -- Improved or even Modified. However, Modified is usually considered the most constriction to choose. If the choke tube is removeable and you choose to change it make sure you screw SOMETHING back in place even if it is Open Cylinder choke -- you cannot have bare internal threads.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8851 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

What he said ^^^.

There would be a MOUNTAIN of blown up shotguns out there if you could not fire a slug thru a choke.

In GENERAL, there are two chokes that should not be shot with a slug- and best accuracy for a rifled slug GENERALLY comes from a modified.

There is a choke known as Extra Full. Used by turkey hunters. Do not use slugs. Too tight.

There were variable chokes used on a few guns in the 50's and 60's, such as the Mossberg C-Lect choke. This had individual steel "fingers" that were squeezed togther by a twist type collet (we used to call them Dial-a-Ducks) It is possible to break one of the steel fingers with a slug.

For all that are wondering- use a pocket knife, and cut open a slug. Place the removed slug in the barrel. Will ordinarily fall all the way thru the barrel. They are made slightly undersized. The soft lead in the ridges (rifling) of the slug WILL squeeze down a lot if the choke is a bit tight.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Awesome I figured you could just wasn't sure. Thank you!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

I use an "Improved Cylinder Choke" in my 870 supermag. Works like a Swiss watch. Remington recommends this choke for rifled slugs: http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/186/kw/choke%20recommendations%20for%20slug/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2NjA0ODY0NC9zaWQvKjE3eSpObmw%3D

remchoke.jpg  

Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Before the advent of screw in choke tubes, most people had a working do all gun with a modified choke. Rifled slugs are designed to go through the choke but it is not suggested to use them with more than a modified choke. The rifling is there to compress going through the choke and the choke will impart a bit of spin. It is the weight forward construction of the slug that keeps it flying straight.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #8

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Yes pretty much what everyone else has said you are just fine with a modified choke and most of the time I have had modified chokes shoot the best out of my guns....but DO NOT shoot it without a choke in it you will ruin the threads in your barrel...and anybody that tells you different is lying or don't know crap about shotguns

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #9

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

Rifled slugs are hollow. You can practically squeeze them down with your fingers. Sabots will also pass thru a full choke, but their accuracy out of a smoothbore is usually not too good.
THE most accurate smoothbore shotgun with slugs I have ever seen was a fixed modified choked Wingmaster. Experiment with different brand slugs if accuracy is important because barrels usually like one brand more than another.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The only thing I have a different feeling about is the rifling on a rifled slug. It generally imparts little if any spin. They are constructed that way essentially to reduce unnecessary friction.