Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #71
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

persoanlly i like the K.I.S.S. approach to my SD shotguns. Keep It Simple Stupid.

nothing glamorous or fancy, just simple and uncluttered. IMO, simple is better. have tried all the tacticool stuff years ago. just got in the way.

here's simple and functional. even the wife has no problems shooting this one and of all my shotguns, this one is her favorite.

a Winchester SXP Defender w/ 18.5" barrel, 5 round tube. 5 more in the buttstock carrier gives her 10 total. the tube carries #4 birdshot and the buttstock carrier has OO buckshot. simple and handy.

winchester-shotgun-002.jpg  

Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #72

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
The shotgun is better for home defence because you don't have to actually aim the gun you can point it and it'd goons hit your Target I believe that to be the number one reason
I believe that a shotgun is best for all but highly skilled handgun users. But it is critical to consider that, compared to a single projectile, a 12 ga. shotgun with a cylinder bored 18" barrel adds a mere 4 (approximate total) inches of pointing forgiveness at across the room distances. Lesser gauges, longer barrels, chokes, etc. somewhat less. I personally like the awesome stopping power of charge of 00 buck, even if it is just a few pellets taking a couple of inches off the edge of a BG's rib cage. Another advantage of a shotgun (in my hands) is that if the gun battle takes place outdoors my chances with a rapidly spreading pattern of buckshot has to be much better than my chances of making good hits with a handgun. Each his own of course but get extremely familiar with whatever HD you choose so that your actions are not something you have to think about.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #73

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I dont know where you live but there is no place in my house that I can shoot 25-35 yards. The smallest shot size I will use is #4 buck (27 .23" pellets). Bird shot less than BB will not reliably penetrate a BG unless you are very close. 00 buck does a pretty good job of penetrating walls. I suggest you take your shotgun and pattern it at 3, 5 and 7 yards. You will be amazed at how small the pattern is. Jon was right. Shotguns have to be aimed. With practice it is possible to shoot from the hip accurately. It involves repeatable stance, position, muscle memory and training. Another poster was also correct about the noise level in a closed area. It will be painful and you will probably suffer permanent hearing loss. It has been known to bring people to their knees from the pain. Dont ever use magnum shot shells inside a house. Reduced recoil loads are a better option. Even a handgun is going to leave your ears ringing. New data and tests are focusing on the 55 grain 5.56x45 (223) for home defense as it is being shown to have less penetration than handgun ammo and even shotguns. This is due to the bullet tumbling and losing power very quickly.
If you are referring to the in flight tumbling of M-16 bullets, early M-16s had this problem due to a bad combination of bullet and rate of rifling twist.

Last edited by EDsaid42; 03-21-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: error/omission

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #74
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2281 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDsaid42 View Post
If you are referring to the in flight tumbling of M-16 bullets, early M-16s had this problem due to a bad combination of bullet and rate of rifling twist.
No, I am referring to the tumbling and fragmentation when the bullet strikes a person or in the case of a miss the wall.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #75
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2281 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 668

"9MM/.45ACP/.357 Magnum - All pretty much the same. All are underpowered with respect to a rifle or shotgun slug and lack the power, in many cases, to even penetrate through both sides of an adult male."

Hollow point pistol cartridges are specifically designed not to penetrate through both sides of an adult male. A bullet that exits can cause collateral damage. 9mm hardball has a reputation of over penetration.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #76
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #77

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfev1980 View Post
I have a 30 inch barrel on my mossberg pump. From across the living room I can poke him in the eye with it before I rack a round. That will slow him down pretty good I figure and if he's rubbing his eyes he won't be pulling a trigger!
Maybe you were being intentionally facetious but if you are close enough to poke a BG in the eye, he would be able to grab the barrel. If you can afford an extra barrel pick up an 18". Or pick up a junk barrel that has 18 good inches and cut it off. You'll gain a few inches of pointing tolerance if the range is like across the bedroom.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #78

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
If someone comes into my house and i have to use a firearm to protect myself and/or my family the last thing on my mind will be the mess or holes in the walls.

You can buy new carpet nearly everyday of the year and sheetrock patches easily but you cant fix a wifes bullet wound or a dead son.
My house has uber-expensive plaster work which I may have to replace with something cheaper, but I feel exactly the same about damage.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #79

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Say what? Rock salt is guaranteed to leave an eternally and

internally lasting impression. Ever step on a nail? Now

try to imagine the entire wound channel is filled with salt,

X 20...
Since rock salt doesn't weight much for it's volume each chunk would carry little energy compared to lead or bismuth pellets. Imagine how hard 1-1/4 ounces of Sugar Pops would hit/penetrate. Sugar Pops are of course near the end of the low density scale. Rock salt is somewhere between lead and Sugar Pops. Maybe you could do some testing of rock salt loads on squash, watermelons, or such. I would be interested in the results. And if salt made a wound channel more painful wouldn't it make the BG more aggressive?
And I know that whenever I hit my thumb with a hammer I had a burst of aggressiveness that put close by objects at risk.

I hope I don't sound argumentative. I am just trying to help. I hope for the sake of neophytes that the mythical rock salt stories we have all heard don't get someone killed.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #80

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I bought my wife a single shot, break action, 410 shotgun to kill snakes, chicken murdering critters, and home defense. I also bought her some #6 shotshells, buckshot, and slugs for it. That was about 8 years ago and she has never shot it and doesn't seem to have any intention of ever shooting it. I've used it a couple of times though. Handy little bugger.