Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I was talking with my daughter about this just last night. She was in the Air Force as is her husband. Her husband gets deployed for several months at a time and she wants something for home defence. She wants a 9mm, I encouraged her to consider a shotgun. She comes home in June for a visit and I'll have her try out some of my guns before making a choice. A short barrel shotgun is what I use because of I have to the to make some kind of accurate shot when I'm barely awake the shotgun is more forgiving than my .45.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #52
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm curious has anyone ever taken their HD gun into a dark enclosed space to practice.

I fire my Mossy 500 and 686 into a hillside from inside my neighbors barn, the flash and noise are disorienting.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #53

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb
I'm curious has anyone ever taken their HD gun into a dark enclosed space to practice.

I fire my Mossy 500 and 686 into a hillside from inside my neighbors barn, the flash and noise are disorienting.
The good news is, you will be experienced when someone comes in your home at night. The bad news is, you won't hear them come through the door because your hearing is shot...lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #54
mcb

What???????

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #55
mcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfev1980

The good news is, you will be experienced when someone comes in your home at night. The bad news is, you won't hear them come through the door because your hearing is shot...lol.
I did use ear protection. Even with very loud.
I would guess a home defense situation could cause hearing damage.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #56

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
Thanks for the completely useless contribution. A very small framed woman or man, even, may be afraid or apprehensive about the recoil of a 12 or 20 gauge. The point was a 410 can and will kill, so don't write it off, PLUS it may be less intimidating to those people. In the event of a home invasion, I would say those people have EVERY right and it is most DEFINITELY their business to be handling a weapon. Should they shoot and train with it? Yes. Will that necessarily dissipate the fear of a larger gauge? No.

i stand by my statement.dont read more into it than what i said

Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #57

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The shotgun is a truly barbaric weapon, although it has a strange beauty. Look at its history from the lowly blunderbuss to the Mossberg 500 and so on and so forth.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #58

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Maybe I'm not as wealthy as the rest of you and have a huge house w/ rooms that measure the length of football fields from wall to wall. In my home the rooms are of a size point shooting is possible. I'm not saying Rambo that sh.t but precision aiming probably wouldn't be needed. I have tried it out and it seems when I bring a firearm up and point then look through the optic or sights they are always right were I want them.

I'm still not excepting of the theory that shotguns don't penetrate as much as 5.56 w/ so many special purpose rounds out there.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #59

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Maybe I'm not as wealthy as the rest of you and have a huge house w/ rooms that measure the length of football fields from wall to wall. In my home the rooms are of a size point shooting is possible. I'm not saying Rambo that sh.t but precision aiming probably wouldn't be needed. I have tried it out and it seems when I bring a firearm up and point then look through the optic or sights they are always right were I want them.

I'm still not excepting of the theory that shotguns don't penetrate as much as 5.56 w/ so many special purpose rounds out there.
I'm thinking that even with birdshot in a normal sized room or hallway in a typical house an intruder is going to suffer some severe, if not fatal, damage

In my house I have no room larger than 13x13, no hallway longer than 8'. Even standing in opposite corners of a room there would only be max about 7' between the end of a shotgun and the badguy. Seriously, what are the chances I would miss at 7' with a shotgun?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #60
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I'm thinking that even with birdshot in a normal sized room or hallway in a typical house an intruder is going to suffer some severe, if not fatal, damage

In my house I have no room larger than 13x13, no hallway longer than 8'. Even standing in opposite corners of a room there would only be max about 7' between the end of a shotgun and the badguy. Seriously, what are the chances I would miss at 7' with a shotgun?
kind of my thinking also. the largest room in my house is the main living area, about 35x40, the master bedroom, about 18x20. so with those distances, i figure #4 birdshot should do plenty of damage, even at the most extreme distance in my home. now on a sidenote, i have one of those elastic shell holders that slides onto the butt of the shotgun that holds five rounds of OO buckshot if i should need it. so if i need to reload, then maybe i need a little bigger shell to even the odds.