Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?
Because the flamethrower will mess up the furniture & the drapes.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #42

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Because the flamethrower will mess up the furniture & the drapes.
...not to mention set off the smoke detectors...

Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #43

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There are a lot of people out there that are afraid to handle a 12 gauge or even a 20 gauge shotgun. Dont sell a 410 short if the 12 or 20 is too much. 410 buckshot is 3-000 balls each 36 caliber and 70 grains. A short barreled 410 pump is a nasty weapon that can be easily handled by smaller shooters.
For those that are willing to step up to 20 gauge, Savage makes a nice little semi auto in a defense configuration available with a shorter stock. The semi will mitigate some of the recoil and no chance of short stroking.
also a .410 shotgun with a slug packs a wallop of a punch, a 2 1/2 " win .410 with an 87.5 gr slug, will have a muzzle velocity of around 1800 fps. and will have little to no recoil, and is extremely accurate from a full choked barrel, that was my home def gun until i traded my .22 revolver for a mossberg 500 in 12 ga, now that with win 00, and my .357 mag ruger are my def guns

Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #44

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think i got it now. The shotgun is better because it is nastier, right?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #45
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

On a recent episode of "Best Defense", Michael Bane was testing various firearms against ballistic gelatin. The handguns that performed the best were the .357 and .45 acp as would be expected. Surprisingly, the Judge with 410 Federal 00 Buck performed quite well.

A second block of gel was added when the rifle tests started. The 223 and 308 picked up the blocks and shook them as if explosives had been planted underneath. It was awfully impressive to see how much power was delivered into the gel.

Then they pulled out a 12ga shogun with 000 buckshot. OMG! It shredded the block.

In my mind, the test proved conclusively that a 12ga shotgun cannot be beat as a defensive firearm in close quarters.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the amount of lethal damage a shotgun can do at a short distance, the ability to deliver the equivalent of multiple projectiles with one shot, the fact they they don't require as precision in aiming as a pistol or rifle. most shotguns are usually also pretty simple in operation so that anyone can usually understand how the work.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #47

Liked 3242 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2328

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 View Post
So, I'm new and already own several firearms, including handguns, one shotgun and some rifles. In the short time i have been doing every thing that i can to learn, i have noticed that there is consensus that the shotgun is generally accepted as the best weapon for HOME deffense, right.... So when i go to sleep, my mossberg 500 is the one that i keep closest to me. Rescently aquired 2 new rifles (at least new to me), one a .308 cal, the other chambered for .223 and found myself falling in love with shooting my rifles! And start thinking that i use my shotgun as my primary home deffense weapon, not because i "know" that it is actually my "best" option but because most people who are into firearms think so! I'm aware that there must be a reason for that but when i ask myself why is a shotgun by my side, better than an AR or better than an AK by my side, i (and please remember that I'm a rookie) cannot come up with an answer. So let's hear it from the experts out there, why is the shotgun the best weapon for HOME defense? (compared to a rifle) Oh, one last thing, I live in Puerto Rico, where most homes are built in concrete so wall penetration and killing your neighbor is almost not an issue. So please enlighten me and others that may have asked themselves the same thing!

BEST home defense is really a matter of situation and comfort.

if YOU feel most comfortable and confident with a handgun and it works in YOUR situation, it is the best choice.

but i feel the shotgun is the best HD weapon for ME. why? some reasons are personal and others situational.

imo, handguns mostly lack the stopping power of a shotgun and are also much harder to hit moving targets. think about trying to pop a soda can at a decent distance, with a handgun (unless your really good), it might take a few shots. NOW....add the stress and fear that will normally be added with a violent or sudden encounter. what are your chances of scoring a KILL/STOP shot the first time? enter the SHOTGUN ADVANTAGE.

#1) why do hunters use shotguns for hitting small moving targets over pistols or rifles? FACT....it is far easier to hit with!

#2) a LOWLY twenty gauge packs about the same stopping power as two 44 MAGS!

#3) low recoil shells and birdshot offer saftey to the rest of your family (and neighbors) by limiting penetration. rifles greatly overpenetrate in most cases.

i'm no expert, but these are my reasons that a shotgun is MY choice.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #48
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

BEST home defense is really a matter of situation and comfort.

if YOU feel most comfortable and confident with a handgun and it works in YOUR situation, it is the best choice.

but i feel the shotgun is the best HD weapon for ME. why? some reasons are personal and others situational.

imo, handguns mostly lack the stopping power of a shotgun and are also much harder to hit moving targets. think about trying to pop a soda can at a decent distance, with a handgun (unless your really good), it might take a few shots. NOW....add the stress and fear that will normally be added with a violent or sudden encounter. what are your chances of scoring a KILL/STOP shot the first time? enter the SHOTGUN ADVANTAGE.

#1) why do hunters use shotguns for hitting small moving targets over pistols or rifles? FACT....it is far easier to hit with!

#2) a LOWLY twenty gauge packs about the same stopping power as two 44 MAGS!

#3) low recoil shells and birdshot offer saftey to the rest of your family (and neighbors) by limiting penetration. rifles greatly overpenetrate in most cases.

i'm no expert, but these are my reasons that a shotgun is MY choice.
actually those are pretty good reasons, and make a lot of sense. pretty much my same reasoning with using a shotgun for HD vs. using a pistol. now i still have a pistol on the nightstand, and if i am awake in bed, reading or watching tv, and there was a reason to check something out, then the pistol is what i get. but if i were awaken in the middle of the night, to someone breaking in, the shotgun would probably be the weapon of choice.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #49

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There are a lot of people out there that are afraid to handle a 12 gauge or even a 20 gauge shotgun. Dont sell a 410 short if the 12 or 20 is too much. 410 buckshot is 3-000 balls each 36 caliber and 70 grains. A short barreled 410 pump is a nasty weapon that can be easily handled by smaller shooters.
For those that are willing to step up to 20 gauge, Savage makes a nice little semi auto in a defense configuration available with a shorter stock. The semi will mitigate some of the recoil and no chance of short stroking.
if you are AFRAID of a 12 or 20 you have no bisness handling a weapon get some training

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #50

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar

if you are AFRAID of a 12 or 20 you have no bisness handling a weapon get some training
Thanks for the completely useless contribution. A very small framed woman or man, even, may be afraid or apprehensive about the recoil of a 12 or 20 gauge. The point was a 410 can and will kill, so don't write it off, PLUS it may be less intimidating to those people. In the event of a home invasion, I would say those people have EVERY right and it is most DEFINITELY their business to be handling a weapon. Should they shoot and train with it? Yes. Will that necessarily dissipate the fear of a larger gauge? No.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ScottA; 04-18-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Please don't ratchet up the rhetoric.