Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would not hesitate to use my 20ga on an intruder. Inside the house is pretty close range. I'd feel comfortable that I'd hit my target and not go through a wall and accidentally hit one of my children. But, seriously, I'd use whatever method of deadly force I had at hand to defend my home and family.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
The shotgun is better for home defence because you don't have to actually aim the gun you can point it and it'd goons hit your Target I believe that to be the number one reason
Well not exactly.....aim is equally important with a shotgun. Across a 15' room 00Buck will pattern 3-4". Don't ask me how I know......

Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #33

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

No question, a shotgun is the best home defense weapon.

They have a higher margin of error. As long as you're close enough you just have to point center mass and it's pretty certain you're going to stop them. You can also buy loads that have a much lower chance of going through walls. And as everyone pointed out, that sounds of one chambering a shell makes a lot of people think twice about what they're doing.

One problem I could see is a full size shotgun isn't always practical not only for maneuverability, if you needed it, or for someone that is smaller. I don't have a shotgun yet. I'm about to buy one to get into trap, but I would love to get one of the Kel Tec defensive models if anyone ever has them in for more than a few seconds.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf

Well not exactly.....aim is equally important with a shotgun. Across a 15' room 00Buck will pattern 3-4". Don't ask me how I know......
That's correct. On a home defense shotgun, assuming an uncooked 18.5" barrel, you can expect a 1-1.5" increase in spread for every yard the shot flies. For an un-choked 18.5" barrel, 15 feet = 5 yards, so roughly a 5" pattern. That's on an UN-CHOKED, or cylindrical short barrel. Easily down to 3-4" with a choke or longer barrel.

Shotguns leave the largest wound channel with the highest margin for error complete with the least potential for over penetration. I would prefer buckshot over birdshot, due to the 12" penetration on ballistic gel you would want to ensure the proper penetration on a human target to hit and disrupt the central nervous system, or CNS. Don't get me wrong, birdshot will hurt like hell, could knock them down, and could kill them as well, but if you add in the multiple layers of clothing one might be wearing, you run in to penetration issues. 40 holes 2" deep after clothing hurts like hell, I bet, but I would rather send 8-12 buckshot rounds at you. Then clothing is much less likely to matter as much, and the effect is similar to getting shot by 8-12 .38 special rounds AT THE SAME TIME IN ALMOST THE SAME PLACE. Plus, you stand a much greater chance of reaching the spine, or CNS, and putting the BG on the ground with your first shot.

I love my AR15, but I have a special mossberg 500 for anyone who steps in my house uninvited with I'll will towards my family. Collapsable stock, 18.5" home defense barrel, sidesaddle shots hell holder, 6 on the weak side of the receiver and 3 more on the weak side of the stock, barrel mounted picatinny tri-rail on the end, fits perfect since the barrel hangs over the magazine tune by about 3", and on it sits a streamlight TLR-1 with a remote coil switch that runs back to the thumb side of the forend, so the light is completely useable without removing my hands from the firing and rechambering actions. Plus a little red laser for point and shoot, just in case. Does it serve any purpose other than home defense? Nope. Am I confident it serves that one purpose as well as it possibly could? You bet your ass.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #35

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Say what? Rock salt is guaranteed to leave an eternally and

internally lasting impression. Ever step on a nail? Now

try to imagine the entire wound channel is filled with salt,

X 20...
search urben ledgions rock salt does not have enough mass never tried it myself but makes sense

Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #36

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar

search urben ledgions rock salt does not have enough mass never tried it myself but makes sense
It works I've been shot by it goofing around with my buddies when I was younger.....talk about a hurt like no other

Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #37

Liked 2415 Times on 1375 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
Why don't you just let somebody shoot you in the butt with

that "urban legend" and tell us what you think then?

I can tell you personally this really is a "rural legend". Given a choice

between hyper-extending my knee, or getting shot again with rock

salt, I'll readily take the knee injury.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #38

The main reason I prefer a shotgun over a rifle for home defense is the penetration of the projectile. A .308 rifle round will not only enter and exit the target, but possibly pass through the outside wall of your home and hit your neighbor while he's in bed sleeping. Yes, you do have to aim, you can't count on the "sound" to scare off the intruder and you better have a tactical light on your shotgun.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #39

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrocker
The main reason I prefer a shotgun over a rifle for home defense is the penetration of the projectile. A .308 rifle round will not only enter and exit the target, but possibly pass through the outside wall of your home and hit your neighbor while he's in bed sleeping. Yes, you do have to aim, you can't count on the "sound" to scare off the intruder and you better have a tactical light on your shotgun.
BOOYAH!!

Agreed, target identification is CRUCIAL for home defense situations. A flashlight on the gun doesn't mean it has to always be on, note the remote coil switch to the forend.
image-323330026.jpg  

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 532

There are a lot of people out there that are afraid to handle a 12 gauge or even a 20 gauge shotgun. Dont sell a 410 short if the 12 or 20 is too much. 410 buckshot is 3-000 balls each 36 caliber and 70 grains. A short barreled 410 pump is a nasty weapon that can be easily handled by smaller shooters.
For those that are willing to step up to 20 gauge, Savage makes a nice little semi auto in a defense configuration available with a shorter stock. The semi will mitigate some of the recoil and no chance of short stroking.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.