Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I dont know where you live but there is no place in my house that I can shoot 25-35 yards. The smallest shot size I will use is #4 buck (27 .23" pellets). Bird shot less than BB will not reliably penetrate a BG unless you are very close. 00 buck does a pretty good job of penetrating walls. I suggest you take your shotgun and pattern it at 3, 5 and 7 yards. You will be amazed at how small the pattern is. Jon was right. Shotguns have to be aimed. With practice it is possible to shoot from the hip accurately. It involves repeatable stance, position, muscle memory and training. Another poster was also correct about the noise level in a closed area. It will be painful and you will probably suffer permanent hearing loss. It has been known to bring people to their knees from the pain. Dont ever use magnum shot shells inside a house. Reduced recoil loads are a better option. Even a handgun is going to leave your ears ringing. New data and tests are focusing on the 55 grain 5.56x45 (223) for home defense as it is being shown to have less penetration than handgun ammo and even shotguns. This is due to the bullet tumbling and losing power very quickly.
Ok at 3 or 5 yards it is pretty tight but start getting 7-10 yards it starts opening up and I never said I was shooting that far in my house I was just making a reference that #4 would still do plenty of damage at a longer distance........and I don't know what #4s you have been shooting but #4 shot will penetrate plenty enough to stop anybody in there tracks.....as for smaller shot you could use #9 shot under 10 yards and it will still do more than enough damage .....no you don't have to precisly aim a shotgun shooting smaller shot as you like #4 or bigger .....you shoot what u want and ill shoot what I want I know what works for me and that's what ill use

Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #22

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I use 00 buck in my hd shotgun because im not worried about penetrating walls as i live in my own house with no other houses within range of a stray pellet. The 9 pellets of 00 buck will stop any bg no matter how determined he is and coming out of a 12 gauge pump with an 18 in barrel with no choke i can shot from the hip across the living room and hit him.
Well, if you have to do your own home repairs, maybe you view

buckshot differently. It's bad enough I'll already have all that blood to

clean up off the floor. What's more, the sheriff probably won't let me wipe it

up till after he investigates, and then it'll have dried. Additional buckshot holes

in the structure would seriously cut into my fishing time...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #23

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

up till after he investigates, and then it'll have dried. Additional buckshot holes

If someone comes into my house and i have to use a firearm to protect myself and/or my family the last thing on my mind will be the mess or holes in the walls.

You can buy new carpet nearly everyday of the year and sheetrock patches easily but you cant fix a wifes bullet wound or a dead son.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
If someone comes into my house and i have to use a firearm to protect myself and/or my family the last thing on my mind will be the mess or holes in the walls.

You can buy new carpet nearly everyday of the year and sheetrock patches easily but you cant fix a wifes bullet wound or a dead son.
i'm with Dragunovsks on this, as the last thing in a self defence type shooting will be any holes in the wall or blood on the carpet, as long as it's the BG's. my only consideration in ammo selection for a shotgun would be over penetration that would harm someone that isn't an intended target.

if cleaning up the dried blood and fixing holes in sheetrock was the price it cost to protect my loved ones, it's a price i will gladly pay. i pay healthy premiums in homeowners insurance, i would definately look into seeing if my homeowners policy would cover it and if it did, would gladly pay the deductable.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #25

Sorry, I just got this house fixed up. It seems to me like bird shot, at SD

distances, would do a better job on the BG.

Hopefully, none of us will find out firsthand who's actually

right on this issue...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #26

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Sorry, I just got this house fixed up. It seems to me like bird shot, at SD

distances, would do a better job on the BG.

Hopefully, none of us will find out firsthand who's actually

right on this issue...
I agree on all aspects

Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #27

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
The shotgun is great because its the only firearm that you can load up with rock salt,buck shot,and waxed screws all in one round. Nasty
Uh, OK. But why the rock salt?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 View Post
So, I'm new and already own several firearms, including handguns, one shotgun and some rifles. In the short time i have been doing every thing that i can to learn, i have noticed that there is consensus that the shotgun is generally accepted as the best weapon for HOME deffense, right.... So when i go to sleep, my mossberg 500 is the one that i keep closest to me. Rescently aquired 2 new rifles (at least new to me), one a .308 cal, the other chambered for .223 and found myself falling in love with shooting my rifles! And start thinking that i use my shotgun as my primary home deffense weapon, not because i "know" that it is actually my "best" option but because most people who are into firearms think so! I'm aware that there must be a reason for that but when i ask myself why is a shotgun by my side, better than an AR or better than an AK by my side, i (and please remember that I'm a rookie) cannot come up with an answer. So let's hear it from the experts out there, why is the shotgun the best weapon for HOME defense? (compared to a rifle) Oh, one last thing, I live in Puerto Rico, where most homes are built in concrete so wall penetration and killing your neighbor is almost not an issue. So please enlighten me and others that may have asked themselves the same thing!
is it? in my br i have a cell phone a led flashlight a noisey jr terror (no sp error)and a 38 spl

Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #29

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_F View Post
Uh, OK. But why the rock salt?
rock salt dont work

Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #30