Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree that a shotgun is the better firearm for HD simply because of the amount of damage it can inflict at short range, even with hunting loads. most people tend to use a pump and these are probably the easiest of firearmsto use by just about anyone. it's disadvantages are overcome by it's advantages. yes a shotgun does need to be aimed, but doesn't require the precision of aiming to hit the target a pistol or rifle. even a miss to vital areas with a shotgun, but still hitting the target, could still lead to massive blood loss, such as hitting a major artery or vein in the arm or leg. loaded with OO buckshot is like shooting 12-15 38 caliber bullets at once, so getting hit this many times at once will pretty much take the fight out of any BG!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The shotgun is great because its the only firearm that you can load up with rock salt,buck shot,and waxed screws all in one round. Nasty

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Also you don't have to worry as much about over penetration with a shotgun. You don't want to miss your target & send a couple rounds of x39 or .556 into your kids room.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

p.s that's also why you aim a shotgun. Usually helps not kill your kids, dog, wife etc. Etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
I'm not talking hip shooting it I've tried that lol.....I ment that you don't have to precisely aim a shotgun like you do a rifle as long as you should the gun and are aim somewhere close your gonna hit your Target....also I like the #4 shot rather than buckshot because you get a bigger spread up close and they will still do significant damage at 25-30 yards
I dont know where you live but there is no place in my house that I can shoot 25-35 yards. The smallest shot size I will use is #4 buck (27 .23" pellets). Bird shot less than BB will not reliably penetrate a BG unless you are very close. 00 buck does a pretty good job of penetrating walls. I suggest you take your shotgun and pattern it at 3, 5 and 7 yards. You will be amazed at how small the pattern is. Jon was right. Shotguns have to be aimed. With practice it is possible to shoot from the hip accurately. It involves repeatable stance, position, muscle memory and training. Another poster was also correct about the noise level in a closed area. It will be painful and you will probably suffer permanent hearing loss. It has been known to bring people to their knees from the pain. Dont ever use magnum shot shells inside a house. Reduced recoil loads are a better option. Even a handgun is going to leave your ears ringing. New data and tests are focusing on the 55 grain 5.56x45 (223) for home defense as it is being shown to have less penetration than handgun ammo and even shotguns. This is due to the bullet tumbling and losing power very quickly.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I rely on my Mossberg 590A1 for best home defense in spite of the fact that I have a couple of firearms to boot.
My question is how in the world do you own anything of a weapon defense in Puerto Rico? That would be the last place,
I suppose, that would allow one to own firearms, much less carry.
It is kind of a headache because of the $$ that you need and the waiting time but not impossible at all. Almost anyone (and trust me when i say ANYONE) can get a possesion and target shooting license. You need arround 400$, cannot have a criminal reccord or a DIAGNOSED psychiatric illness, 3 "good reputation" witnesses to sign a paper which states that you are not a danger to society if you own a firearm and wait arround 120 days. Carry is another story. You need to pay aditional between 800-1000$ and go to court to convince a judge that you have a genuine rational fear for your life. Oh, and your witnesses also need to go to court with you. Court hearing is not a requisite for everyone but the $$ that needs to be paid is! I did not had to go to court but waited arround a year for my carry license. There are arround 84,000 legal gun owners in PR. In a 3,000,000 population that's not bad at all!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #17

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I can only answer why it's a great HD weapon for me.

12G birdshot transfers a massive amount of energy to a

BG, with minimal house damage. Unlike buckshot, the birdshot

throws dozens of pellets, which at HD ranges, chew a large

hole into, but not back out of, an intruder.

Shotguns are also feared and respected. I don't want to

kill anybody, and they don't want to die, which could

work out well...

Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
I had my 12 ga. pump out for home defense for a while until my wife and I were out at the range doing some shooting and she saw/heard me shooting the shotgun and she said, "YOU are NEVER, EVER, EVER going to shoot that THING in MY house!!!!!!". I'm back to the Glock 19 now.
Thank you so much for making that point. I have not taken my wife to the range yet because we are still in the process of getting her permit but i guess that when i take her i will leave the shotgun at home because I'm sure she will react the same way, so thanks again!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #19

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I use 00 buck in my hd shotgun because im not worried about penetrating walls as i live in my own house with no other houses within range of a stray pellet. The 9 pellets of 00 buck will stop any bg no matter how determined he is and coming out of a 12 gauge pump with an 18 in barrel with no choke i can shot from the hip across the living room and hit him.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
I use 00 buck in my hd shotgun because im not worried about penetrating walls as i live in my own house with no other houses within range of a stray pellet. The 9 pellets of 00 buck will stop any bg no matter how determined he is and coming out of a 12 gauge pump with an 18 in barrel with no choke i can shot from the hip across the living room and hit him.
I have a 30 inch barrel on my mossberg pump. From across the living room I can poke him in the eye with it before I rack a round. That will slow him down pretty good I figure and if he's rubbing his eyes he won't be pulling a trigger!