Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

So, I'm new and already own several firearms, including handguns, one shotgun and some rifles. In the short time i have been doing every thing that i can to learn, i have noticed that there is consensus that the shotgun is generally accepted as the best weapon for HOME deffense, right.... So when i go to sleep, my mossberg 500 is the one that i keep closest to me. Rescently aquired 2 new rifles (at least new to me), one a .308 cal, the other chambered for .223 and found myself falling in love with shooting my rifles! And start thinking that i use my shotgun as my primary home deffense weapon, not because i "know" that it is actually my "best" option but because most people who are into firearms think so! I'm aware that there must be a reason for that but when i ask myself why is a shotgun by my side, better than an AR or better than an AK by my side, i (and please remember that I'm a rookie) cannot come up with an answer. So let's hear it from the experts out there, why is the shotgun the best weapon for HOME defense? (compared to a rifle) Oh, one last thing, I live in Puerto Rico, where most homes are built in concrete so wall penetration and killing your neighbor is almost not an issue. So please enlighten me and others that may have asked themselves the same thing!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #2

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

The shotgun is better for home defence because you don't have to actually aim the gun you can point it and it'd goons hit your Target I believe that to be the number one reason

Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6012 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

A shotgun with buckshot is a proven manstopper. It delivers multiple hits on the order of a 38spl all at the same time transmitting massive trauma to the target in one blast.

You will see movies and hollyweird and the history channel all claiming it was this rifle or that pistol that won the west. The fact of the matter is it was the shotgun that did it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06
The shotgun is better for home defence because you don't have to actually aim the gun you can point it and it'd goons hit your Target I believe that to be the number one reason
And the sound of a shotgun being pumped is often, by itself, enough to scare off an intruder

Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6012 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Totally untrue. Shotguns have to be aimed. Its a interweb myth. Dont believe me setup a target put one round in the shotgun of home defense quality loading at 5 yards close your eyes pick up the shotgun and from the hip shoot. You almost certainly will miss.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #6

Liked 128 Times on 82 Posts

12 Ga with buckshots & pump Action Best Self-defense Sound scary and deadly at the same time

Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Well, the "point and click" is not really true- at 10 ft, the pattern is only a few inches wide- you DO need to aim.

The real answer is energy. With the possible exceptions of the .577 T-Rex or the Holland & Holland .600 Nitro Express, at close range a shotgun puts more energy into the target than any rifle out there. EXTREMELY large wound channel. About 3,000 ft lbs for a 12 g. The energy is transferred very quickly, unlike a rifle bullet that, at close range, goes thru and thru- taking its energy along with it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I rely on my Mossberg 590A1 for best home defense in spite of the fact that I have a couple of firearms to boot.
My question is how in the world do you own anything of a weapon defense in Puerto Rico? That would be the last place,
I suppose, that would allow one to own firearms, much less carry.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had my 12 ga. pump out for home defense for a while until my wife and I were out at the range doing some shooting and she saw/heard me shooting the shotgun and she said, "YOU are NEVER, EVER, EVER going to shoot that THING in MY house!!!!!!". I'm back to the Glock 19 now.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Totally untrue. Shotguns have to be aimed. Its a interweb myth. Dont believe me setup a target put one round in the shotgun of home defense quality loading at 5 yards close your eyes pick up the shotgun and from the hip shoot. You almost certainly will miss.
I'm not talking hip shooting it I've tried that lol.....I ment that you don't have to precisely aim a shotgun like you do a rifle as long as you should the gun and are aim somewhere close your gonna hit your Target....also I like the #4 shot rather than buckshot because you get a bigger spread up close and they will still do significant damage at 25-30 yards

Last edited by akers06; 04-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.