why ''polychoke'' because they work .period
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > why ''polychoke'' because they work .period

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default why ''polychoke'' because they work .period

best mod ever for me...modern powders /shotshells burn up to 14-15 '' in barrels...there is really no need to have a barrel longer than whats legal for your state.had my 28'' vent rib sent off to ''polychoke'' in wis. they cut and installed polychoke with comp ...has 9 settings on it..barrel is now 20'' total .best of both worlds,defense/hunting.its 9 barrels in one package

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #2

Liked 146 Times on 113 Posts

For you, maybe, but the vast majority do not like them. Quickest way in the world to reduce gun value. And powder is not completely burned in 14" to 15" of barrel, and most people don't shoot anything flying with anything near as short as 20". 26" used to dominate the skeet fields, but now 30" isn't out of place even there.
And a 350 pound woman may work too, but...

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #3

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Fixed chokes give better patterns. Longer barrels do give greater range and hold patterns together longer.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default response...

only advantange of longer barrel is sight plane .ive killed squirrels(cat) here in east tx at 40yds + with #5 shot set at modifyed. # 4 buckshot patterns in 18'' at 35yds choke set betwween mod and full.would not hesitate to duck hunt with it either. i use #2 steel . one cant eat clay pigeons. and as far as loss of value when a barrel is shortened or modifyed; the only true value that counts is the owners,not what anyone else says

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2181 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 644

He does have a point for a survival gun. It would be versitile. A 20" pump is about the same length as a 26" single or double. I used to hunt birds with a 26" double (Imp&Mod). The Poly is ugly though. I guess "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." is true. Does anyone have a 20" barrel with screw in chokes?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 11-23-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Field loads may achieve max velocity is a shorter barrel, but heavier loads will benefit from a longer barrel. Fixed chokes tend to pattern better because the constriction can be more gradual. Adjustable chokes and screw in choke tubes give the same degree of constriction as a fixed choke, but do so in a shorter distance. The patterns are not as nice because the shot is kind of "jammed down" rather than gently squeezed down.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2181 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 644

The longer chokes probably do a better job but a survival 12 guage with adjutable or screw ins would be pretty versitile. I could definately see a use for the Poly on a survival gun as everything is attached. While not the best it would certainly do the job and the self defense shotguns are not that pretty anyway.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think if you take some measurements you'll find that fixed chokes and flush mounted screw-in chokes have about the same length of constriction. The original screw-in chokes were designed to mirror the length of fixed chaoke. Of course you can buy extended chokes now which do provide a longer forcing area. However, having shot skeet for 40 years and having worked at a range, I've seen hundreds or more pattern papers, and I can say without a doubt that nothing is certain--some poly chokes will pattern great, some fixed chokes will pattern bad, etc. etc. I think individual loads (or reloads) are a much bigger factor in pattern quality than type/lenght of choke. Just my 2 cents...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

Liked 146 Times on 113 Posts

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

What could have happened... did.