whats your favorite shotgun action? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > whats your favorite shotgun action?

View Poll Results: whats your favorite action?
pump 19 40.43%
bolt 1 2.13%
semi 16 34.04%
break 11 23.40%
sliding breech 0 0%
trap door 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 554 Posts

polls dont ask for opinions. its a form of collecting pointed facts for use in data.
emotional responses, feelings or a why factor are when opinions come into play, jon.
when you vote for a president, they dont care about how you feel and read a paragraph on why you voted for them.
they count your vote and move on.
fyi. ;>

do we all remember the 6 forms of asking questions from our schooling?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 05-17-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

As you know from the hoot and shoot's shotguns have never been my thing but I am trying to change that. I own 3. A s/s , o/u and a pump. I voted for the semi. I'm sure that say's something just not sure what...

Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
uhh, i know you guys know this....but a side by side isnt an action, sbs's and o&u's are break actions.

you knew that, right?
Yes but a side by side is nothing like a o/u...

Quote:
polls dont ask for opinions. its a form of collecting pointed facts for use in data.
emotional responses, feelings or a why factor are when opinions come into play, jon.
when you vote for a president, they dont care about how you feel and read a paragraph on why you voted for them.
they count your vote and move on.
fyi. ;>

do we all remember the 6 forms of asking questions from our schooling?
Yup and thats why polling is useless. If you dont know why you cant know what your doing is in accord with the voters. I can really expound on the fallacies of polling and why its useless but i dont want to move this to politics

In terms of shotguns i could say i like side by sides. But if you dont know why how does it help?? I may like side by sides because i use one to store butter in the barrels.... Or i may use it as an oar to row a canoe. So my vote on its value as a shotgun is pointless and wont help.

Raw data without context is useless and meaningless.

The answer to life the universe and everything is : 42

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-18-2014 at 12:34 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I wrote in variety as my action of choice. Got semi-auto', pumps and a break (O/U).

In the past few years the semi's have moved to the forefront.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #15

ever think there are some people here that use data to make you better products and improve the quality of sporting life in america?
nehhh....never crossed your mind, im sure.

hey rock....the way you shoot, youd never know you didnt like shotguns.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 05-18-2014 at 01:13 AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #16

quiz time...name a sliding breech shotgun...........

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #17

Liked 329 Times on 182 Posts

Darne. Do I win?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1667 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I can say this much the kids I grew up with that had pumps either excelled in the use of a shotgun or they lost interest in shooting sports. There is no semi auto, no matter how much you spend that is as dependable as a good pump. Not many people shoot a shotgun enough to break it in. I bought a Mossberg turkey slugger last week. It had not been shot enough to wear the blueing off the action bars. No one can become proficient with a shotgun if they don't shoot it. The guy that sold the Turkey slugger went out and bought a semi auto and 15 buckshot. Obviously he has no intention of practicing. Not everyone is going to enjoy shooting at a range. But spring traps are cheap and a lot of fun. Finding a place to shoot is not hard. Every land owner has places that need to be filled in. There are 600 acres of places to shoot in walking distance of my home. More if you count all the 5 acre lots that need filling in.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6173 Times on 3058 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Holy crap, thats like asking what type of writing instrument do I prefer. Hard to answer, each has its own beauty form and function wise. It really has as much to do with what Im doing with it as it does what I prefer.

The classic simplicity and reliability of a single shot break loader makes them just as precious in my eyes as my model 11 semi with a full tube in reserve.

My BFF George had an Ithaca 12 single break loader that killed more deer (and anything else around) than any semi or pump around yet you could hear the lead bouncing around in the barrel before it shot out the end cause he didnt have a slug barrel, just bird. He learned to use wind-age and elevation better than I ever did with my semi modern Ithaca Featherlight with swapable barrels. Then again, nothing would reach out and touch the geese like my old Wards Western with the 150" barrel (OK, maybe Im exaggerating) but lugging it through the woods all day wasnt all that much fun and it was way to heavy for Grouse and Pheasant, hard to swing fast enough to even get a shot, thats where the Featherlight shined! I even had my beater shotgun, an old pump Mossberg whos stock had been pinned at least twice and shook like a gay guy at a weenie roast but it had its place blasting whatever, whenever and I never cared if I hurt it much!

So your asking me to pick one? Thats like telling Amelga Marcos she can only have one style of shoes, impossible and very impracticable. I cant do it, sorry, I choose all of the above!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 05-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
ever think there are some people here that use data to make you better products and improve the quality of sporting life in america?
nehhh....never crossed your mind, im sure.

hey rock....the way you shoot, youd never know you didnt like shotguns.
Ive seen those polls its how we end up with things like a lever gun covered in rails....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This