what's wrong with mossbergs? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what's wrong with mossbergs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I don't really have anything against them as I've not owned one. I had one at the house for a couple of months two years ago, I borrowed it to rabbit hunt before I had my own pump.

Im in the remington camp because I got my NEF pump, which is an 870 clone, for cheap and later bought a used 870 express magnum.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #32

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There is nothing wrong with a Mossberg. I have a Mossberg 535 that I bought for hunting and have been using it for trap and skeet. There are a lot of shotgun snobs out there and they will tell you Mossberg's are cheap guns. They are well made.

I was at a trap range today and some kid with a Mossberg 500 was out shooting the old guys with there $10,000 over and under's.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #33

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvw3
There is nothing wrong with a Mossberg. I have a Mossberg 535 that I bought for hunting and have been using it for trap and skeet. There are a lot of shotgun snobs out there and they will tell you Mossberg's are cheap guns. They are well made.

I was at a trap range today and some kid with a Mossberg 500 was out shooting the old guys with there $10,000 over and under's.
I also own a 535 its an awesome gun

Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #34

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own a Mossberg 500 Cruiser and a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum. Both are great guns but as a owner of both I have to say the Remington is a better made gun. As said above, Remington has a steal receiver but Mossberg has an aluminum receiver. The Remington has a smoother action and the parts seem tighter. But no matter what I will always love my Mossberg and the company will always get my business. I have never had any issue with my 500. They are cheap, but when I say cheap I'm talking about $$$$. I can buy good used ones at my LGS for $140 on up to $200 all day long. At that price for HD, hunting, and just plain o'l target shooting you can't beat a Mossberg. And yes many people claim that they're junk, but that happens with alot of guns. Usually it is people who don't know **** about the gun or have never shot one. It's always the ones who act like their **** don't stink. We see these types of people all the time. At gun shops, gun shows, the range, and even here on FTF. The ones I've seen on FTF were mostly about Mosins, SKS's, Mossberg's, all Taurus guns, and Romanian WASR10's. One thing most of these people suggest is to keep saving up your money and buy something else. But not everyone is bringing home a big stack of cash every week. Think of this scenario, if you had no gun whatsoever would you rather buy a Mossberg right then for HD or save up for a month or two to buy a Benneli?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #35

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Nasty
I own a Mossberg 500 Cruiser and a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum. Both are great guns but as a owner of both I have to say the Remington is a better made gun. As said above, Remington has a steal receiver but Mossberg has an aluminum receiver. The Remington has a smoother action and the parts seem tighter. But no matter what I will always love my Mossberg and the company will always get my business. I have never had any issue with my 500. They are cheap, but when I say cheap I'm talking about $$$$. I can buy good used ones at my LGS for $140 on up to $200 all day long. At that price for HD, hunting, and just plain o'l target shooting you can't beat a Mossberg. And yes many people claim that they're junk, but that happens with alot of guns. Usually it is people who don't know **** about the gun or have never shot one. It's always the ones who act like their **** don't stink. We see these types of people all the time. At gun shops, gun shows, the range, and even here on FTF. The ones I've seen on FTF were mostly about Mosins, SKS's, Mossberg's, all Taurus guns, and Romanian WASR10's. One thing most of these people suggest is to keep saving up your money and buy something else. But not everyone is bringing home a big stack of cash every week. Think of this scenario, if you had no gun whatsoever would you rather buy a Mossberg right then for HD or save up for a month or two to buy a Benneli?
Or its the people who don't maintain their guns properly. Even the most well made gun will fail if it isn't cleaned, stored and used properly. I know people who claim "brand x" are junk but they don't know what maintenance means. My sister in law is bad about that, not only with her guns but also with her car.

The mossberg I borrowed from my fil was a 20 gauge, a model 600 I think. It was old but well maintained and operated flawlessly.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What's wrong with Mossbergs? They last too long; i've been wanting to replace my 1995 USED purchase with a new one, but it won't give me an excuse to ditch it.
Maybe i will just pick up another one and keep them in seperate rooms to prevent jealousy.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #37

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
What's wrong with Mossbergs? They last too long; i've been wanting to replace my 1995 USED purchase with a new one, but it won't give me an excuse to ditch it.
Maybe i will just pick up another one and keep them in seperate rooms to prevent jealousy.
That's too funny

Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #38

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The Mossberg lineup of shotguns are truly one of the last really good values, in a made in America firearm today. I recently purchased my second, a 590 A-1 Mil-Spec, and I'm amazed at the quality they built into this thing for under $500.00. I own other makes of high grade shotguns. Browning's, Beretta's, Ruger, and a few Remington's. They are all very nice, well made weapons.

But for the dollar you just can't beat Mossberg for the overall ruggedness and quality for the price. I just can't think of more bang for the buck, than someone equipped with one of the many 12 gauge, 3 1/2" Mossberg Pump models. They have them in every possible configuration a shooter could want. If your looking for a long range waterfowl or Turkey cannon, a self defense shotgun, or just a knock about camp gun, I doubt you could find a better one at any price.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #39

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have a Win 1300 12ga with rifled barrel for deer hunting, then bought a Mossy 500 12 ga for turkey hunting and THEN bought a Moss 500 20ga youth combo with rifled barrel and bird barrel for my youngest son so he could hunt. All three have put a lot of meat in the freezer. What am I hunting deer now ? You guessed it the Mossy 500 20 ga youth. Good shooter, light weight for this old man and a heck of a lot less recoil. Naw there ain't nothing I can think of wrong with Mossburg shot guns.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

In my 67 years I have spent a lot of money for flash and reputation in everything from automobiles and booze to wrist watches and women and most of it was just a damn waste of time and cash. When I got back into shooting I decided to go with what I really needed and what was a reasonable amount to pay based on my real needs instead of imagined needs. The result of this philosophy? I have an AR, but it shoots .22LR since I'm not going to war anymore and I don't hunt and the cost-per-round is pennies versus quarters. I have a 1911 but it was made in the Philippines and is built of steel instead of unobtainium and it makes me grin with how nice it feels when I shoot it. I have shotgun but I don't shoot skeet or trap, and I don't hunt anymore so it's more of an adjunct to my other defensive firearms (.40S&W, .45ACP) and my poorly-visioned son can hit stuff with it. It's a Mossberg 500 and it's tricked up a little and it works every time I want it to. "Inexpensive" and "cheap" do not mean the same thing!