Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what's wrong with mossbergs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Default what's wrong with mossbergs?

So I bought my first shotgun about 6 months ago, a mossberg 500. It's a tactical version in my avatar an I've shot all different loads with it so far an I have to say I love it. So since this is my first shotgun an I haven't shot much more, what don't you guys like about them? What do you like about others more?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Don't listen to the haters. There are basically 2 1/2 camps on hd shotguns. Mossberg and Remington being the two. The 1/2 is the rest benelli, winchester, etc....

From what I know, (not alot) Most everyone thinks the above brands have their merits. Remington and Mossberg both are tried and true. Sometimes it just comes down to safety placement and personal preferance. I love my 590a1 Mossberg but I would not knock a Remington 870 or the others.

NEVER FORGET

misterjerry Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50406

there are many different brands of shotguns that are proven performers ans Mossberg is one of them. i have had several Mossbergs, and never had any problems and would buy another. i do like the Remington's shotguns too, as the 870 is one of my favorites. personally for me, to decide between them, would come down to which one i could get the best deal on at the time. just enjoy your Mossberg and don't worry about it, because it's a good shotgun to own.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 68

mossburg is a good entry leval shotgun my beef with this sight is every shotgun link steers to hd and zombie killing well i have loud dog a cell phone and a 38 spl for that. my shotguns are for birds and clays

Old 08-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
mossburg is a good entry leval shotgun my beef with this sight is every shotgun link steers to hd and zombie killing well i have loud dog a cell phone and a 38 spl for that. my shotguns are for birds and clays
Then use them for birds and clays. What's the big deal? I have guns for that as well. Who cares what other people use them for?

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #6

Likes Given: 1

The Remington-Mossberg "debate" is much like the pro's and con's of baseballs designated hitter rule. It either advances the sport or it takes away from the so-called "purity" of baseball. To each their own and if you are happy with your choice and it works for you, then go for it.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How come nobody said anything about the winchester super xp or x3 fastest shotguns ever, I've had the 1300 crazy speed pump, still waiting to get the super xp,don't get me wrong I have the 870 and 835 love them bolth but mis my 1300 I gave that one away but looking forward to get the winchester sxp

Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

Liked 1973 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 423

I've run Mossbergs in the Navy and as my own personal shotgun for a long time. They are very dependable, and good shotguns. The price is usually a bit easier to swallow than a Remington. I recently got a Remington 870 Express. It is also a good shotgun.

People have their preferences on placment of controls. Other folks have preferences about how the shotguns are made ( the Remington has a steel receiver while the Mossberg is aluminum). Others state that they prefer the feel of a Remington, (The Remington action bars are welded while the Mossbergs rails are riveted, and that causes the pump on a Mossberg to wiggle some. Neither is a badd way to attach the action bars, just different).

Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50406

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFaTs View Post
How come nobody said anything about the winchester super xp or x3 fastest shotguns ever, I've had the 1300 crazy speed pump, still waiting to get the super xp,don't get me wrong I have the 870 and 835 love them bolth but mis my 1300 I gave that one away but looking forward to get the winchester sxp
Fats, i have the Winchester SXP Defender with the 18.5" barrel. pretty decent shotgun. nothing fancy or elegant, just functional. to date so far, not one problem. the only issue some may have with the SXP vs. the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870, is the lack of aftermarket accessories and parts.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Not a thing wrong with them. I own a 500 I keep the short barrel and pistol grip on it and removed the plug. It's very reliable but I wasn't crazy about the pattern with the long barrel. But nothing will ever take the place of my browning humpback IMO the best there is.