Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What's The Difference Between These Two Shotguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default What's The Difference Between These Two Shotguns?

I am looking to pick up one of these after Christmas for home security and don't know enough about all of this to know what the real difference between these two are and how that difference will show itself when using it. The 55605's muzzle break looks more like a sound suppressor almost. I see it has an attachment rail but the muzzle break differences are a mystery to me. Is one "better" than the other? Please help. Thank you.

Mossberg 50591

Mossberg 55605

50591.jpg   55605.jpg  

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 12-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well ive seen these and i dont really own one but i do own a rem. 870 . Well anyways they are both pretty much the same weapon but the first mossberg with the barrett/ christmas tree shaped muzzle end piece will let gas escape out of the the ports facing towards you. But the gas wont hit you it will actually help you by letting more gas escape reducing the recoil. The second one lets less gas escape and strait out the side. I would pick the first one and plus keep this in mind. You can always change the end piece.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yea and hope my response helped

Old 12-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I figured they both would help in recoil but like you say I'm guessing the one on the left would do a better job with recoil but the one on the right does have a rail which is nice. Since posting this I have begun debating on whether I want the pistol grip above or this stock mossberg 50772 shotgun... hmmmm... I still have a few weeks to decide... I'm starting to think in a home defense mode quick aim, stability and a larger capacity might out weigh the less confining pistol grip.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

FWIW, the muzzle brakes on both will make them INCREDIBLY loud. I mean REALLY.

If you have not spent time shooting a pistol gripped shotgun, would urge you to do so before buying.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

If you have not spent time shooting a pistol gripped shotgun, would urge you to do so before buying.
Right on both counts. The noise of a 12 in a confined space is painful. The muzzle brakes will make it worse and the Barrett brake will be loudest as it is directed back.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Thank you, that's all I need to know... I know a Shotgun is gonna be loud anyway but I have severe tinnitus (ringing ears) so that info alone will cause me to go with the 50772. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both those pistol grip models may look cool, but they can cause serious wrist pain with just a few shots fired. Go with a traditional stock model like the 50772 and you will get a better to use in any situation gun.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I'm in the regular stock crowd myself. Whatever advantage a pistol grip may afford you in a very specific circumstance, simply is not enough for me when you look at the disadvantages.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

maybe you should consider a Blunderbuss! It can double as an umbrella stand...

Last edited by Slugo; 12-19-2011 at 12:23 AM.