Whats the best buckshot in 12 gauge is best for personal protection - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Whats the best buckshot in 12 gauge is best for personal protection

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2001 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
This again?
When that horse gets up it will be a whole lot smarter than when it went down!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Down home we used to go shooting where people would dump their garbage because they were too lazy to take it to the landfill. We shot up everything, nd not just to shoot up, but to see what would stop a certain caliber. a solid oak door from about 8 feet away birdshot will leave a fist sized hole in it. I use birdshot for my HD roundsin my shotguns and don't worry about stopping power.
i and another member here, MrWray did some informal testing last year to dispell some of the rumors that birdshot wasn't efective as SD ammo. he's lives in Oklahoma and i live in Texas and both of our tests showed that at most likely distances that a shotgun would be used in the home for SD, birdshot does work and quite well. personally both of my HD shotguns are loaded with #4 birdshot, with OO buckshot on the buttstock carrier.

we both came up with very similiar results, after testing in various materials. MrWray used #7 birdshot and i used #4 birdshot for these informal tests. i tested at 10 yards and used 1/2" plywood and sheetrock. he used 3/8" plywood and at about the same distances. i also just for grins tested at about 7 yards and old cars quarter panel. it did penetrate. in fact, it penetrated all test materials at 10 yards. why 10 yards? because that would be the longest possible shot within my home. so if it works at the longest possible distance within my home, i am very comfortable it will work at the shorter distances.

is buckshot a better ammo for SD than birdshot? yes it is. but birdshot will work, and that's been proven to me, by me. personally, i don't just make assumptions that things work as people say or that i think they will. i want to know for a fact for myself that they do. this is why i do lots of shooting and paracticing. so i know what will happen an what works and what doesn't.

i will add this final thought on this. do not assume i or anyone else here knows what they are talking about. test your intended shotgun with what ever ammo you choose to try, and go out and find out what it will do for yourself. besides, different ammo can pattern very differently an when the BG is breaking into your home is not the time to find out how well it works or doesn't work. another thing, the practice is good for you.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-26-2013 at 11:39 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2001 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i and another member here, MrWray did some informal testing last year to dispell some of the rumors that birdshot wasn't efective as SD ammo. he's lives in Oklahoma and i live in Texas and both of our tests showed that at most likely distances that a shotgun would be used in the home for SD, birdshot does work and quite well. personally both of my HD shotguns are loaded with #4 birdshot, with OO buckshot on the buttstock carrier.

we both came up with very similiar results, after testing in various materials. MrWray used #7 birdshot and i used #4 birdshot for these informal tests. i tested at 10 yards and used 1/2" plywood and sheetrock. he used 3/8" plywood and at about the same distances. i also just for grins tested at about 7 yards and old cars quarter panel. it did penetrate. in fact, it penetrated all test materials at 10 yards. why 10 yards? because that would be the longest possible shot within my home. so if it works at the longest possible distance within my home, i am very comfortable it will work at the shorter distances.

is buckshot a better ammo for SD than birdshot? yes it is. but birdshot will work, and that's been proven to me, by me. personally, i don't just make assumptions that things work as people say or that i think they will. i want to know for a fact for myself that they do. this is why i do lots of shooting and paracticing. so i know what will happen an what works and what doesn't.

i will add this final thought on this. do not assume i or anyone else here knows what they are talking about. test your intended shotgun with what ever ammo you choose to try, and go out and find out what it will do for yourself. besides, different ammo can pattern very differently an when the BG is breaking into your home is not the time to find out how well it works or doesn't work. another thing, the practice is good for you.
And go to as many autopsies, hospital emergency rooms, crime scenes and fire as many rounds to test the various loads as I have and you will see why 'bird shot' is for the birds!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #34
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2164 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Ugh. Stick a fork in it. This thread is done.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Closed Thread