What's a .410 used for?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

What's a .410 used for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What's a .410 used for?

I got myself a Savage .410 C Series that was given to me when i was 10 years old. Haven't really touched it till recently. Some slight rust on the outside of the barrel. I took it to a local gun shop and they told me it's safe to shoot.

I'm mostly curious as to what a .410 is good for, compared to a 20ga or any other larger shotgun.

I've also been looking at handguns, specifically 'The Governor' (a revolver) as it also takes .410 shells. Would this be a good option for a self defense gun?

My idea is worse comes to worse, I could use my Savage .410 and the governor as my two bedside tools. Maybe load up a couple slugs??

Sorry for the complicated (2-part) question. Thanks for your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

Liked 841 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 256

A 410 is used by highly experienced shooters to make their sport more challenging.
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Snake control is the first thing that comes to mind, also squirrel & blackbird & other vermin control when you don't plan on eating the kill.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

See above.

It was also used extensively by turn of the century naturalist to take animal samples for various museums with little damage.

Modern use its a shell used for extreme challenges in clay shooting.

Even with so-called modern "defensive" loads its a damn poor round for self defense only slightly less useful than a 25acp... I think your more likely to be successful using a super soaker than 410 shells
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
isaac318 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

It is great for teaching humility to old guys that use one for Sporting Clays! (Rem 1100 in .410)

Seriously, good small game gun- rabbits, squirrels- and if you are a really good wingshot, quail. Snake control- yep.

While there have been deer taken with .410 slugs, the energy on those is so low as be uncertain as to ethics of deerhunting with one.
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1461

i use a 410 for rabbits and squirrels regularly,i also like to shoot clays with it but the cost of the shells keep me from using it as often as i like.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I dove hunt, rabbit and tree rat hunt with mine. I also use it to shoot the quail we train dogs with.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Mine is used for frustrating the hell out of it's owner...

Mine is used as a theatrical sendoff for the clay pigeons, as they gloriously embark on their journey to freedom and safety...

In all seriousness, it's a great trainer for those wanting to get into skeet/trap who have little or no experience with shotgunning. Not like a greenhorn will hit much with it, (I sure suck with it) but several newbies I have taken to the range handled the recoil of the .410 much more comfortably as opposed to 12 or even 20 ga...

Still fun though...
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #9

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

From a pistol a 410 slug is pretty anemic. Shot from a long gun the 410 slug is potent self defense medicine. Many people feel comfortable with a pistol caliber carbine but they are quick to bash the 410 which has more energy than a 44 mag at self defense range. Some of the boutique 410 slugs make over 1,500 ft lb of energy from a 24" barrel.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8769 Times on 5239 Posts
Likes Given: 11641

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
A 410 is used by highly experienced shooters to make their sport more challenging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Modern use its a shell used for extreme challenges in clay shooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
It is great for teaching humility to old guys that use one for Sporting Clays! (Rem 1100 in .410)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Mine is used for frustrating the hell out of it's owner...

Mine is used as a theatrical sendoff for the clay pigeons, as they gloriously embark on their journey to freedom and safety...

In all seriousness, it's a great trainer for those wanting to get into skeet/trap who have little or no experience with shotgunning. Not like a greenhorn will hit much with it, (I sure suck with it) but several newbies I have taken to the range handled the recoil of the .410 much more comfortably as opposed to 12 or even 20 ga...

Still fun though...
I used a .410 when I went skeet and trap shooting last October and I will be using it again next month. I am a very inexperienced clay shooter but I use the .410 because I am a shotgun recoil wimp. I may try Balota's new 20 gauge Weatherby.

Newest Threads