What is ur choice - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is ur choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am a fan of the Mossberg, probably because that is what I have and have had for many years. I like the safety up top, but opinions vary.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #42

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I agree with Orange. Tang safety is much easier and the slide release is in a WAY better place, behind the trigger guard instead of in front of it.

I started with an 870 for many years, once I picked up a Mossberg, it's all I want in pump actions. They are a chore to fieldstrip, but their operation is much better the Remington IMO.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #43
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1752 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9580

I do have a slight preference towards the 870 myself. Easier take down and reassembly, and I am not a fan of aluminum receivers. Both are good, inexpensive shotguns, and they are deemed reliable by both the military and law enforcement. I do like the location of the Mossberg's safety, but as a LH shooter with short fingers, I am not a big fan of where the slide release and the trigger sits on the 500. The palm swell of the stock just doesn't feel right to me. The 870 just feels better in my hands, and it only cost about $80 to convert the safety from RH to LH between parts and labor. As I said in an earlier post, go with what fits you best. There is a reason I have both in my safe.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #44

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
...Store your shells in a plastic zip-lock bag with a light coating of oil on them. Old trick of my dad's. He never had a jam with his old Mossberg 5500 no matter what he used.
Dad was brighter than many w/a Mossberg, but...

...oil deactivates primers. Gun won't go bang! The Remington gun defending shooting expert will also tell you that too-little friction on a case/shell can create a danger situation. It may help put undue pressure on the bolt (face) and locking mechanism. Dad had a really bad idea there for a couplea reasons.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

...oil deactivates primers. Gun won't go bang! The Remington gun defending shooting expert will also tell you that too-little friction on a case/shell can create a danger situation. It may help put undue pressure on the bolt (face) and locking mechanism. Dad had a really bad idea there for a couplea reasons.
Hock, it may be beyond you to comprehend, but seriously, you flame and bad mouth Remingtons, but yet not once have you provided any proof or evidence to back up your statements, not once.

i am not on some bandwagon just defending Remington, but fair is fair. you can't continually trash something and expect others to believe your statements have any credibility unless you are willing to substantiate those allegations.

sorry, but your statements lose any credibility with your failure or avoidance to back up those statements.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #46

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Mosseburgs are a pain in the ass to detail strip and reassemble.
flabbergasted!!! I got my first mossy when I was 10 and learned to detail strip and clean it!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #47

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I personally prefer mossbergs. I have no negative ideas about Remington. Purely preference. I own both a 500 and 590 mossy and have had no issues with them. Both are solid and well built. I have used both for HD and trap. The whole argument over whether remington or mossberg is better is just preference. It can go on forever. Personally it turns me off. There's nothing worse than going to a gun shop to look at a gun, only to hear the employee bad mouth that gun and say what a piece of junk it is. Everyone has an opinion and I prefer to form mine myself. I feel this is something that pushes new shooters away from the sport. Each of these shotguns is tried and true. I had to choose between the 500 and 870 when I bought my first shotgun. I chose my mossberg because the price was right at the time. it's worked no problem, so when I bought my second shotgun, I leaned towards mossberg again. I'm sure if I bought the Remington originally, then I'd have a preference towards Remington. Each is functional in its own way. As a mossberg owner I can admit the 870s safety is more functional for adding a pistol grip stock. What we all need to remember is that both the 500 and 870 are the two most versatile models of the most useful firearm. A shotgun can be used for anything from hunting to clay shooting to home defense. It can take down anything from small birds to large game. It's renowned itself on the battlefields and in the hunting blinds. A shotgun is an all purpose gun that just about anyone can afford. And in these times, it's about the only gun I can always find ammo for. I think alot of us here sleep a little better at night, knowing that we have our trusty shotguns within reach, whether it be a 500 or an 870.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #48

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I'm not really a fan of the 870 or 500 there are pros and cons in both I like the safety and the fairly smooth action on the 500 but I absolutely hate how the forearm is so rattley.....I like the feel of the 870 but they don't have the smoothest action and I don't like the location of the safety.....in my opinion the Winchester 1300 is the best pump gun ever made I love everything about them the only thing that would make then better is a safety like the Mossbergs I'm not saying the remingtons and Mossbergs aren't good guns I just prefer the 1300s....I'm also a big fan of the benelli nova as well

Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #49

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

Actually that's how they store ammo in milsurp cans. Light glaze of oil and seal off the air.

Not saying mossburg is impossible to put together but Remington is easier. And I also own a Winchester 1300. I bought when was 18 at a garage sale for $200. It's even easier to reassemble than Remington or mossburg and silky smooth. Had to trade for another one set up for deer.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #50
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Actually that's how they store ammo in milsurp cans. Light glaze of oil and seal off the air.

Not saying mossburg is impossible to put together but Remington is easier. And I also own a Winchester 1300. I bought when was 18 at a garage sale for $200. It's even easier to reassemble than Remington or mossburg and silky smooth. Had to trade for another one set up for deer.
but the difference in milsurp ammo and most commercial ammo is that most milsurp ammo had the primers and the bullets sealed. if not the oil could migrate into the ammo and degrade the primer and powder.