What should I look for in a semi-auto - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What should I look for in a semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928A1 View Post
I'd avoid any shotgun with an alloy reciever.
I'd look for a short barreled 8 guage with a 2 foot bayonet.
Spike or blade type bayonet? I have the Norinco SKS and MUCH prefer the spike type bayonet.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #22

Likes Given: 1

Default What to look for.

I have a mauser with its WW2 bayonet and a Lee enfield of the same era with a spike.
The mauser is much scarier and I hear the blood groove in the blade made it much more efficient causing blood pressure loss quicker.
Thank god I have never even seen a bayo used in anger but I think they are a good deterrent to an attacker and could avoid the need to actually shoot,
alternatively if you had already fired once and that hadn't stopped them they would be on you before you could cycle, but not if you had a bayo fitted.

I have to admit that the 8 guage remark wasn't serious, they became obsolete once 12 magnums were developed as they only had very low chamber pressures.

As for choice of shotgun, any gun is better than no gun!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Going along that line of thinking, no police officer in the nation would have a Glock, Beretta, Kimber, etc. service pistol. How about the weapons used by the armed forces? Not only auto-loading, but full auto. Modern designs properly maintained are reliable. A revolver has just as much chance of not going off with a mis-fire or squib round as my semi-auto shotgun has. I click the safety off and it goes BOOM, if another shot is needed and it fails to fire, I cycle it and try again, but this is not very likely.
Autoloading reliability with a .45 ACP is a lot different than reliability with a shotgun and the different loads that may be put into it by a police officer. He may be equipped with 00 buck, slugs, CS pellets, and rubber slugs, each of which may be combat loaded depending on the situation and have different pressures and recoil profiles. Most automatics can be adjusted to run these different loads but to get 100% reliability from shot to shot with no adjustments between different loads pretty much requires a pump or lever action gun. For a slight increase in rate of fire you loose either versatility or reliability and that's why the police still love their 870's and 500's.

For home defense this doesn't really apply; pick a load (at in-house ranges up to forty feet, #4 bird-shot is big enough since they will hit as one mass anyway). If you can run 200 rounds of it through the gun with no malfunctions you can be confident in that gun with that load. Also, think about how that that thirty inch goose barrel is gonna be around the house; if you swap or chop the barrel you'll have to function check it again.

Last edited by Wenonah; 12-05-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #24

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
Autoloading reliability with a .45 ACP is a lot different than reliability with a shotgun and the different loads that may be put into it by a police officer. He may be equipped with 00 buck, slugs, CS pellets, and rubber slugs, each of which may be combat loaded depending on the situation and have different pressures and recoil profiles. Most automatics can be adjusted to run these different loads but to get 100% reliability from shot to shot with no adjustments between different loads pretty much requires a pump or lever action gun. For a slight increase in rate of fire you loose either versatility or reliability and that's why the police still love their 870's and 500's.

For home defense this doesn't really apply; pick a load (at in-house ranges up to forty feet, #4 bird-shot is big enough since they will hit as one mass anyway). If you can run 200 rounds of it through the gun with no malfunctions you can be confident in that gun with that load. Also, think about how that that thirty inch goose barrel is gonna be around the house; if you swap or chop the barrel you'll have to function check it again.
I don't think anyone was considering a goose gun for home defense. Mine has an 18.5" barrel. I've seen a guy shoot a 30" with choke tube in at 40 yards and it hit two feet off of point of aim. You are on point about patterning and checking the point of impact with various loads. I have mine documented on paper targets. Using ammo that you have patterned and checked for function is vital not only in HD but in hunting as well, it only makes sense.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My home defense gun is currently a AOW Saiga 12 with a 10" barrel. Reliability is very good plus it shouldn't take more than a couple of 12rd mags full of 12 Ga 00, & #4 Buckshot never mind the slugs to convince someone to stop bothering me (I hope)