What should I look for in a semi-auto - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What should I look for in a semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I happen to know one member on this site that has a Siaga (with a little shorter than usual barrel). The slugs he was throwing down range looked like baseballs shot out of a canon hitting the muddy backstop. Those that were there know what I’m talking about. For HD, I’d personally be all over one of these.
But suggesting one for bird hunting – eh, not so much – you know; those pesky federal regulations about magazine capacity and all.

As for completely disregarding semi-autos due to functionality concerns? I work with a guy that is a Class AA sporting clays shooter that shoots tens of THOUSANDS of rounds a year. Care to guess what he shoots?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
My only advice on getting an Auto for HD is DON'T.

Semi Auto shotguns are great, don't get me wrong. The fact is I would not have one in two VERY important circumstances.
1. In an Duck blind or boat
2. Home defense.

Simple reason is that they, and I lump ALL semi Autos in this group, anr nicknamed Awfulmatics.

For the very reasons that most police cars in this country carry Remington 870's is easy of use and reliability. An Auto is GOING to jam at some point in it's life.

Besides, the scariest sound in the world is the sound of an 870 cycling a shell into battery in the dark. I know many police officers who have subdued an bad guy simply by racking the slide on their 870's.

Why take a chance on a jamb when you need it.
IMHO that attitude is what kept the German Military armed with bolt action rifles through WW II. Good for us, bad for the Wermacht.

Semi-auto shotguns WERE problematic 30 years ago. Modern designs are very reliable. The old 1100 Remington had issues that have been cured with the 11-87. The Winchester 1400 had issues that are not present in the newer Super X-1's. The Benelli's are very reliable with the high brass ammo.

The military uses both pump and semi-auto shotguns. If I was going to be dragging it through the sand or mud I would prefer the pump gun. I prefer not to drag my firearms through either media. I keep my guns clean and well maintained.

The 20th century has come and gone. We are well into the 21st. I find nothing wrong with a quality auto loader. Pumps jam, too.

As far as the sound of a pump shotgun rackingbeing intimidating? Trust me, this is not very true anymore. The criminals of today, do not seem to value their own lives as much as they did 25 years ago. They do not care about dying. It seems like many today think you are not cool if you have not been shot by the police.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
I happen to know one member on this site that has a Siaga (with a little shorter than usual barrel). The slugs he was throwing down range looked like baseballs shot out of a canon hitting the muddy backstop. Those that were there know what I’m talking about. For HD, I’d personally be all over one of these.
But suggesting one for bird hunting – eh, not so much – you know; those pesky federal regulations about magazine capacity and all.

As for completely disregarding semi-autos due to functionality concerns? I work with a guy that is a Class AA sporting clays shooter that shoots tens of THOUSANDS of rounds a year. Care to guess what he shoots?
Once again, Semis are great guns, I have a couple too. And I too know sporting clay and trap and skeet shooters who use the religiously. But i chalange you to show me one of them that does not break it almost all the way down after each shoot.

If it comes to HD and the protection of my family, I personally would NOT trust one, despite the range record. Standing at the 18 yard line in a good solid firm leaning forward stance is great for cycling an auto with target loads and results in a VERY high number of rounds without a stove pipe or misfeed.

Standing in the dark shooting at shadows or around corners with an auto is a recipe for stovepiping.

Like I have also said in and earlier post, just the SOUND of an 870 cycling, personally witnessed by the way, can defuse a situation with out having to resort to throwing lead baseballs through your walls and into your neighbors bedroom in the middle of the night.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would go with a pump shotgun for HD. The answer is really simple. The HD gun is probably the most neglected in any homeowners arsenal. They live there lives in the corner of the closet, slid under the bed or standing in the corner of the room. You don't think about them until you absolutely need them and pump guns just work regardless of the neglect.

That's why my Winchester 1200 is in the corner of the closet and my Smith & Wesson 1000 lives its life in the gun safe.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #15

Hmm, thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm waiting a while to get my shottie anyway, but at least I'll know what to look for. I'll review this thread in a while, so any other suggestions and thoughts continue to be very welcome!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #16

I went semi auto, Rem. 11-87, for a couple reasons.

One, the semi absorbs recoil, while the pump doesn't. And, if my wife hates it because of the recoil, she'll likely never shoot it again and not know how to use it if the NEED arises.

Two, I can switch barrels and take it to the clay/trap/skeet range, and not have it sit in the corner for the next 20 years(hopefully never needed).

I put no stock in the sound of a pump intimidating someone in my home. The last thing I want them to know is I'm awake, armed, and "over there" where the noise is. I'm not arming myself to scare anyone, it's to protect my family, period. If they're in my home, they are there to do harm to my family.

A misfire can be cleared just as effectively with either, or both can jam beyond quick remedy. (not my law, Murphy's)

I don't think either one is better than the other. The semi just works for me and my needs/wants.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuflames View Post
home defense shotgun?

Models?

Price is a consideration. At this point, a large consideration.
So, prices?
LOL I'll prob take flack for this since it's not a well like gun but personally I think it is a good gun, esp for a home defense item - I have the pardner pump compact - it's NEF's rip off of the Rem 870, I picked it up a while back for less then $200 and it has taken anything and everything I've put through it 00, #4 and slug so far all without issue and I've put quite a number of boxes of ammo through it....not a lot of finesse to it but as a home defense it has plenty of brute force and is very reliable and IMO not badly put together at all for a cheap gun.

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)

Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #18

Default Home Defense

I'm just an old retired Army guy. I know that young Soldiers in Iraq I met up with liked Mossberg, especially the semi-auto 930 SPX. I've had mine for two years and never had a single failure, firing everything from buck to slugs (rifled, unrifled and sabot) to game loads and even duplex (I load 1x3 for HD). I agree with the post from SeanCucf about chambering a round, but in any case, chambering the FIRST round in a semi-auto sounds the same as a pump. I do have a Mossberg 500 pump also, which I keep in a cruiser configuration, but my primary is the 930 SPX. I highly recommend it.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #19

Winchester Defender that is what I use . I switch between slug and 00 buckshot.

This is a pump and makes that unforgettable sound when you load it. Somt times that alone is enough to scare them away.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #20

Likes Given: 1

Default What to look for?

I'd avoid any shotgun with an alloy reciever.
I'd look for a short barreled 8 guage with a 2 foot bayonet.