Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   What should I look for in a semi-auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/what-should-i-look-semi-auto-33868/)

Stuflames 11-02-2010 06:36 AM

What should I look for in a semi-auto

home defense shotgun?

Models?

Price is a consideration. At this point, a large consideration.
So, prices?

fireguy 11-02-2010 12:48 PM

I was looking for a semi-auto 12 ga. a couple years ago and faced the same dilemma. Without knowing what your budget is I can only give you some suggestions on what I based my purchase on.

I already had four pump guns and two o/u's, so if I got another shotgun it had to be "different" to get through the wife screening process, besides, I had never had an auto-loading shotgun.

I initially wanted the Mossberg 590 with ghost rings and speedfeed stock. The problem was that they were scarce as bill readers in congress. I looked at Remington's 11-87, and came across a Stoeger at a gun show and got the dealer talked down on price. I didn't know much about the Stoeger, but was told that it was a Benelli design gas system that was very popular and reliable.
I bought the Stoeger and have put over $100 in a side saddle, sling and extension tube, which I could only find from a machinist in Texas who builds them from aircraft aluminum billet. You can find Winchesters, Remmies, and Mossies for less than I ultimately had in my Stoeger. I took defensive shotgun class and it behaved really nice, when shooting slugs from 40 yards I had the holes touching on the target.
Do some research on any of these guns and you won't go wrong. Here is a way to search Davidson's pricing.
www.galleryofguns.com - Our retailers all over the country will offer you the best price for all the top brand guns

WoodysKJ 11-02-2010 06:44 PM

My only advice on getting an Auto for HD is DON'T.

Semi Auto shotguns are great, don't get me wrong. The fact is I would not have one in two VERY important circumstances.
1. In an Duck blind or boat
2. Home defense.

Simple reason is that they, and I lump ALL semi Autos in this group, anr nicknamed Awfulmatics.

For the very reasons that most police cars in this country carry Remington 870's is easy of use and reliability. An Auto is GOING to jam at some point in it's life.

Besides, the scariest sound in the world is the sound of an 870 cycling a shell into battery in the dark. I know many police officers who have subdued an bad guy simply by racking the slide on their 870's.

Why take a chance on a jamb when you need it.

orangello 11-02-2010 06:51 PM

Have you looked at the Saiga's? That would look darn strange in a duck blind, but it might be more interesting for Home Defense. Saiga 12 gauge with 24 Barrel IZ-107 [IZ-107] - $499.00 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories

I prefer a pump myself, always have.

WoodysKJ 11-02-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 379168)
Have you looked at the Saiga's? That would look darn strange in a duck blind, but it might be more interesting for Home Defense. Saiga 12 gauge with 24 Barrel IZ-107 [IZ-107] - $499.00 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories

I prefer a pump myself, always have.

I do not mean to be a jerk and offend anybody, but....WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS THAT PIECE OF CRAP?!?!?!?!

I would not let that THING anywhere near my house, or duck blind.

BUY AMERICAN, Remington 870 preferably, but NOT THAT CRAP.

Sorry to offend.

orangello 11-02-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodysKJ (Post 379269)
I do not mean to be a jerk and offend anybody, but....WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS THAT PIECE OF CRAP?!?!?!?!

I would not let that THING anywhere near my house, or duck blind.

BUY AMERICAN, Remington 870 preferably, but NOT THAT CRAP.

Sorry to offend.

None taken, the Saiga12 is based on the AK design. If I had to have a gas-run shotty, I would probably go for it, but i prefer the pump action.

I will say, that it would look more at home in the HD role than for bird hunting. :)

fireguy 11-03-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodysKJ (Post 379159)
My only advice on getting an Auto for HD is DON'T.

Semi Auto shotguns are great, don't get me wrong. The fact is I would not have one in two VERY important circumstances.
1. In an Duck blind or boat
2. Home defense.

Simple reason is that they, and I lump ALL semi Autos in this group, anr nicknamed Awfulmatics.

For the very reasons that most police cars in this country carry Remington 870's is easy of use and reliability. An Auto is GOING to jam at some point in it's life.

Besides, the scariest sound in the world is the sound of an 870 cycling a shell into battery in the dark. I know many police officers who have subdued an bad guy simply by racking the slide on their 870's.

Why take a chance on a jamb when you need it.

Going along that line of thinking, no police officer in the nation would have a Glock, Beretta, Kimber, etc. service pistol. How about the weapons used by the armed forces? Not only auto-loading, but full auto. Modern designs properly maintained are reliable. A revolver has just as much chance of not going off with a mis-fire or squib round as my semi-auto shotgun has. I click the safety off and it goes BOOM, if another shot is needed and it fails to fire, I cycle it and try again, but this is not very likely.

Bigcountry02 11-03-2010 06:10 AM

This is me talking, I would go with the Remington 870 and/or Mossberg 500/590 series.

I just purchased a Remington 870 for $329.

They have all know to a degree that there will be no Russian, East Bloc or Chinese weaponary is allowed in my household. I do look, touch, talk and dream; however, the line is in the sand of no purchase. It is either American or Western European!

billdeserthills 11-03-2010 06:49 AM

You guy's putting down the Saiga 12 Ga remind me of all the people who never saw a Hi-Point saying that they all suck. I won't be offended by the ignorance of someone who has never see a semi-auto 12 gauge that works as effortlessly as any well-tuned AK-47. Probably scare the runs right out of you.

WoodysKJ 11-03-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdeserthills (Post 379675)
You guy's putting down the Saiga 12 Ga remind me of all the people who never saw a Hi-Point saying that they all suck. I won't be offended by the ignorance of someone who has never see a semi-auto 12 gauge that works as effortlessly as any well-tuned AK-47. Probably scare the runs right out of you.

I have seen both of them work and i use the term loosely. The highpoint is a crap gun, made out of crap materials. poor tolerances, poor engineering and in my honest opinion, unsafe except when used as a door stop. The Saiga works better than the High point. Because it can be more easily used as a club.