What should I get?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default What should I get?

I will be going to moss pawn with my dad either Friday or Saturday in Georgia and my dads letting me pick out a shotgun, they have an 8 shot maverick 88 in stock for 239 i believe he said and a 590a1 for 629$(Very unlikely my dad will pay that much though.) My question is what shotgun do you think I should get for under 400$? The less I spend on the gun the more ammo I can get. 400 max on the gun and I can only get like 30-50$ worth of ammo. What loads do you guys think I should get? I want a good ''end of the world'' shotgun, so something durable and reliable and preferably user serviceable.

P.S. They dont have any mossberg 500's in stock besides one with a big muzzle break and another with a pistol grip.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Last edited by beastmode986; 06-05-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I'd still hold out for a Mossberg 500 or 590. Maybe the one with the muzzle brake if it is removable. Or one with a pistol grip and then buy a buttstock for it. The Mavericks are not bad.

Any Remington 870s? An old Wingmaster or Police model would be preferable. But even with all the complaining I hear from people about current Remington 870's I haven't had any problems with mine, and none of my friends have had problems with theirs.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #3

The on with the muzzle break has a huge muzzle break that looks like it should be on a 50bmg and has a pistol grip so I'd rather get the one with the pistol grip only, how common is it for the extractor to break on an 870

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #4

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Maybe it isn't in the cards, but

how about a used 870?

BTW, 600 $ for a used 590?

Waa-aay too much. Probably one

of those wrist cracking pistol grips

everybody thinks is so tacticool. The

Mossbergs kick like a Yak throwing a tantrum,

just so you know. Offer 375$ for the 590,

you really want an Ithaca or Rem pump

anyway.

Think of them as a "we're going to

continue to live a long life, and be happy"

shotgun...

Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Maybe it isn't in the cards, but

how about a used 870?

BTW, 600 $ for a used 590?

Waa-aay too much. Probably one

of those wrist cracking pistol grips

everybody thinks is so tacticool. The

Mossbergs kick like a Yak throwing a tantrum,

just so you know. Offer 375$ for the 590,

you really want an Ithaca or Rem pump

anyway.

Think of them as a "we're going to

continue to live a long life, and be happy"

shotgun...
Its a 590a1 and its new. I thought 629$ was average? The main turn off for me on the 870 is that if the extractor breaks it needs to be sent to the factory.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

Liked 671 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Default Shotgun...

MY OPINION ONLY.... You're milage may vary!!
Pump... How about a Stevens model 67 ???; http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345007888
If you want something new... My shooting buddy just bought his son a Tristar semi-auto;
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345493675 ...he's happy with that. Both well under $500 too. Don't feel you have to choose between the pawn shop's inventory only. Take some time, read some reviews, listen to the guys & gals here... get informed and THEN make a choice you'll feel good about.
Good luck buddy!!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
I will be going to moss pawn with my dad either Friday or Saturday in Georgia and my dads letting me pick out a shotgun, they have an 8 shot maverick 88 in stock for 239 i believe he said and a 590a1 for 629$(Very unlikely my dad will pay that much though.) My question is what shotgun do you think I should get for under 400$? The less I spend on the gun the more ammo I can get. 400 max on the gun and I can only get like 30-50$ worth of ammo. What loads do you guys think I should get? I want a good ''end of the world'' shotgun, so something durable and reliable and preferably user serviceable.

P.S. They dont have any mossberg 500's in stock besides one with a big muzzle break and another with a pistol grip.
On most mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, you can remove it and for around $30 you can get a full stock or a telescoping stock for $50 it might be worth getting the pisol grip and btw the 590 are like $525 on buds I think in stock

Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I like berry and eric big fan of there youtube stuff, But I like the old used 870's I can get a new one for around $350 here in ky so a used one shouldn't be to bad. Usually when I get a new shotgun the first thing that I shoot out of it is target loads I like remington but I've been settling with winchester here lately just because they have 50 round boxs at the local boom stick shop.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Replacing an extractor on an 870 is a kitchen table operation if there ever was one. You are getting some real bad info. The Remington 870s and the Mossberg 500s have outsold about all the other repeating shotguns ever made by anybody combined, and they both continue to sell well for a reason; they work.
Besides which, if you do run in to an issue they both have about as good a customer service as there is.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #10

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
The on with the muzzle break has a huge muzzle break that looks like it should be on a 50bmg and has a pistol grip so I'd rather get the one with the pistol grip only, how common is it for the extractor to break on an 870
I don't know I haven't had one break, and neither have any of my friends.

Replacing the extractor isn't hard though. Drive a pin out with a punch, keep control of a spring and plunger while you remove it, then put the other extractor in and replace the pin. It's like lots of extractors.

Newest Threads