what should I buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what should I buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what should I buy?

What is the best tactical shotgun on the market for $500-600? I was thinking about buying the Mossberg at my local shop, but I wanted to ask you guys first. I'm not sure "tactical" can really be applied for this price range, but I just want it for home defense and backyard fun, I don't need to hunt or kill clay with this one, it just needs to be a 12g auto / pump.

Last edited by DJango; 03-01-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That amount of money will get you a semi-auto. Take a look at Remington 11-87's, Mossberg 935's and such. Unless you would rather have a pump.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For self defense I would recommend a pump--it is easier to bring into battery and less likely to jam/malfunction. Plus the sound of racking a round into the chamber can stop the fight before it begins. For that money the Remington 870 Marine (boat, not Jarhead) version would be a great buy--synthetic stock and non-corrosive finish.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #4

Django, Weigh out your options. I recommend a pump also. Mossberg makes more tactical/security shotguns than most other MFG's. There's a reason why.Shop around the deals are out there. Just recently a friend stopped and showed me a Winchester 1300 Defender he picked up for 300 bucks,NIB. Very Nice-Great Action. Security shotguns are better kept simple,IMO. You'll never go wrong with a Remington, Mossberg, Winchester or Benelli. After all, they are the leaders. Good Luck, do tell us what you decide.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #5

Remington 870 Express Tactical Model # 81198 Priced around $450. It's loaded with features and the best deal Remington has ever offered on a Tactical Defense shotgun. A plain Express with factory tube extension and a cheap bead blasted blue finish will run about $300.

870 Model 25549

You get all of the below add-ons for $150 more.

Tapped for Chokes tubes - worth $60
Comes with a Breacher choke tube - worth $40 - sell it and get some of your money back
Black Oxide finish - costly
XS ghost ring sights and rail - worth at least $125
Factory tube extension kit - worth $80
LE Speedfeed forend - worth $20

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 03-01-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #6

Look MAX100, I can do that too...
Can I be an expert like you now?

590A1 SPX – 9 Shot – 12 Gauge
- $449.99 NIB
- Barrel Length: 20″
- Sights: Ghost Ring
- Choke: Cylinder Bore
- Overall Length: 41″
- LOP: 13-7/8″
- Finish: Parkerized
- Stock: Black Synthetic
- Origin: Made in the USA
- Warranty: 10 yr Limited Warranty

-All 590A1 models come standard with 12 gauge heavy-walled barrels with Pakerized finish, metal trigger guards and metal safety buttons
-Sighting Options-All full range are available for quick target acquisition:Front Bead, Ghost Ring, and 3-Dot configurations
-Stock Options- Synthetic, Speedfeed & Adjustable Aluminum stocks are available
-Drilled&Tapped Receivers-All 590A1 models feature a drilled & tapped receiver, factory-ready for Picatinny rail, scope base or optics installation
-Accessory Options- Include heat shields, Picatinny rails & orange buttstocks and forearms
A little about Mossberg...
Founded in 1919, O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. is the oldest family-owned firearms manufacturer in America, and is the largest pump-action shotgun manufacturer in the world. Leading the way with over 100 design and utility patents to its credit, and standing as the first ISO 9001 certified long-gun manufacturer, Mossberg is considered to be one of the most innovative firearms manufacturers in U.S. history.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

getcha a mossberg "just in case" you can pick them up between 350 and 400 bucks and they're a great gun to be had

moss_51340.jpg  

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Look MAX100, I can do that too...
Can I be an expert like you now?
You copied yours and you have wrong price posted for the 590A1 SPX. The $449 you posted is way below dealer cost. The low retail price is about $559 for the 590A1 SPX with LPA GRS and rail. The price you posted is for a 590A1 with factory GRS.

Nice shotgun but it's very heavy fully loaded with the heavy wall barrel.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 03-03-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Wow this thread went down hill fast. From the get a pump and rack the slide the bad guys will run away and piss themselves. To the I can cut and paste argument. Why type when you can cut and paste?

I would go with a Mossberg or an 870. That is just me. They are the top dogs in the pump tactical shotgun world.

Or you could go with this.
Benelli Shotguns | Benelli Nova Pump tactical version is only $449.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can't go wrong with either the Remington (my choice), or the Mossberg. I just wish the Remington had the tang safety of the Mossberg. You don't need a lot of add-ons for a shotgun to be effective. In fact I recommend you get a plain shotgun to start with and add modifications as you decide you need/desire them. Too many people get mired down in the details of add-ons, and forget how effective a plain ol shotgun is.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!