what shotgun should i get? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what shotgun should i get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

An 870 Express Magnum is a great choice. If you prefer a tang safety, the Mossberg 500 may be the way to go.
I put a Knoxx Industries Spec Ops stock on my 870 because it reduces felt recoil by up to 90%. It really works! I can shoot 3" magnum loads all day and not pay the price in my shoulder the next day (or week). The best add-on I've ever bought for a firearm. I paid $109.00 from Midway.
Knoxx also has a more traditional looking recoil reducing stock too called the Comp Stock. IIRC, they are priced the same.

Don't know if I can post pics since I'm an FNG but, I'll try:

Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #12

One thing I will say and I am sure I will catch it for saying so is that you want to buy a three inch version remington 870 not the 3 1/2 unless you just want a 12 that will shoot a 10 gauge size load. The remington I own will expend a shell but not load another if it is not thrown back far enough. I have had it do this many times while hunting and tried to fire a second shot and it went click. I know that is shooter error but I hate it when it happens and my winchesters never do it or the brownings. Especially for a defense gun when you are keyed up and that next shot might mean your life. I am sure I will get some hate mail for saying a bad thing about remingtons but thats my two cents.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncrazy74 View Post
The remington I own will expend a shell but not load another if it is not thrown back far enough.... I know that is shooter error...
ahh the "short stroke"...

That can happen to any pump action firearm if the pump is not fully cycled. As you mentioned any time of stress can cause trouble. The best mantra for this is to practice, practice, practice with whatever pump-action shotgun you choose.

Again, the Rem 870 or Moss 500 are both fine choices. Find which one suits you best. Lots of folks are drawn to one or the other based on "feel" and placement of the manual safety.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #14

For home defense I have the Mossberg 500 Marine Mariner, for hunting I have the 870 Remmy Turkey Gun 21" barrel and 26 " barrel.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default A Bit Late

I realize this is a bit late, but a good, affordable shotgun meeting your specifitactions might be an Remington 870. You can buy models in desert camo, or flat black tactical models with 18 inch barrels. Try gunbroker.com for some prices, and many sports stores sell them. A used one in decent condition is normally much cheaper, but be cautious when buying used, don't buy any painted or modified guns. I hope this might help when you buy your next shotgun. Good Luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I realize this is a bit late, but a good, affordable shotgun meeting your specifitactions might be an Remington 870. You can buy models in desert camo, or flat black tactical models with 18 inch barrels. Try gunbroker.com for some prices, and many sports stores sell them. A used one in decent condition is normally much cheaper, but be cautious when buying used, don't buy any painted or modified guns. I hope this might help when you buy your next shotgun. Good Luck!
I bought my remington 1100 tac-2 off gunbroker and have loved it so far! More cleaning to do than on an 870, but also a lot more fun. Just pull the trigger as a fast as you can...

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncrazy74 View Post
One thing I will say and I am sure I will catch it for saying so is that you want to buy a three inch version remington 870 not the 3 1/2 unless you just want a 12 that will shoot a 10 gauge size load. The remington I own will expend a shell but not load another if it is not thrown back far enough. I have had it do this many times while hunting and tried to fire a second shot and it went click. I know that is shooter error but I hate it when it happens and my winchesters never do it or the brownings. Especially for a defense gun when you are keyed up and that next shot might mean your life. I am sure I will get some hate mail for saying a bad thing about remingtons but thats my two cents.
No need to be gentle when racking the action. Pull that slide back hard and until it stops. Slam it forward until it stops. It's not an uncommon problem for pump guns as I suffered through it myself with my first pump.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
I bought my remington 1100 tac-2 off gunbroker and have loved it so far! More cleaning to do than on an 870, but also a lot more fun. Just pull the trigger as a fast as you can...
I love 1100s as well. I use my fathers, and nothing can slow it down. It has been my duck, geese, and deer gun (we have a slug barrel for it). You can buy a lot of different parts for whatever you need, and a used one is about the same price as an 870

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 AM   #19

I'd stay away from the Rem 1100, only because they arn't chambered in 3". Other than that, great shotgun. My personal fave is the Rem 870 Express Magnum, with the smooth bore 20" barrel, rifle sights

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #20

Likes Given: 1

Default Get the one you think you'll put the most shells through

Been said here already : Practice Practice p&^% practice Pr%$@

Practice shooting ,,, reloading ,,, taking down
Practice in low light ....

What ever you get (... ALL the weopons mentioned are good enough)
Put shells thru her

Practice Practice p&^% practice Pr%$@

:-)