what is this remmy worth? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what is this remmy worth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts

Gads. I thought I said what I said fairly plain. It is probably getting a lot of activity on GunBroker because non-magnum standard weight 20 gauge 1100s, particulary ones with vent rib barrels and without Cutts Compensators, are still in demand by target shooters. JUST the uncut spare standard non-vent barrels start around $250, and you can add $100 for a vent rib. A magnum standard 20 has a magnum action sleeve, and if you convert to a 2-3/4" barrel, it can pound the action with any heavy loads. You need a standard action sleeve to make it into a truly 2-3/4" 1100 standard weight 20 gauge gun.
I never said it wasn't a tough gun, that has nothing to do with anything he asked. Wait and see what the final bid price goes to. You may get lucky and someone needs a parts gun or receiver and or wood to get one they already have working again, but I will stick with my guess.
Just for info, I am possibly the biggest Remington 1100 proponent on the planet. But, the gun in question is a bit of a square peg in today's world. As a magnum, it very likely won't handle target loads without some modifications. For anything but strictly targets, the LW/LT20 versions are usually much preferred. That non-vent rib chopped barrel with the Cutts Compensator is highly unlikely to find favor with anyone but an old dyed in the wool Cutts loving skeet shooter.
If it had a standard length vent rib barrel, someone might want to get it and have choke tubes installed and play with the gas port to get it to work with target loads, but I doubt anyone would be willing to invest the bucks with that barrel. I may be wrong. Let's see.
If someone wanted to build a good standard weight Magnum 20 field gun, it's going to take $450 for a barrel and tubes to get there. You can get a cherry used LT-20 with tubes for $550. I am not saying the resultant gun wouldn't be a good gun in the field, but it would be heavier than you need. I still shoot a 12 gauge 3" 1100 and wouldn't trade it for anything, but that is not comparing apples and apples. I also have an LT-20 Magnum and 3 barrels - one with tubes.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Gads. I thought I said what I said fairly plain. It is probably getting a lot of activity on GunBroker because non-magnum standard weight 20 gauge 1100s, particulary ones with vent rib barrels and without Cutts Compensators, are still in demand by target shooters. JUST the uncut spare standard non-vent barrels start around $250, and you can add $100 for a vent rib. A magnum standard 20 has a magnum action sleeve, and if you convert to a 2-3/4" barrel, it can pound the action with any heavy loads. You need a standard action sleeve to make it into a truly 2-3/4" 1100 standard weight 20 gauge gun.
I never said it wasn't a tough gun, that has nothing to do with anything he asked. Wait and see what the final bid price goes to. You may get lucky and someone needs a parts gun or receiver and or wood to get one they already have working again, but I will stick with my guess.
Just for info, I am possibly the biggest Remington 1100 proponent on the planet. But, the gun in question is a bit of a square peg in today's world. As a magnum, it very likely won't handle target loads without some modifications. For anything but strictly targets, the LW/LT20 versions are usually much preferred. That non-vent rib chopped barrel with the Cutts Compensator is highly unlikely to find favor with anyone but an old dyed in the wool Cutts loving skeet shooter.
If it had a standard length vent rib barrel, someone might want to get it and have choke tubes installed and play with the gas port to get it to work with target loads, but I doubt anyone would be willing to invest the bucks with that barrel. I may be wrong. Let's see.
If someone wanted to build a good standard weight Magnum 20 field gun, it's going to take $450 for a barrel and tubes to get there. You can get a cherry used LT-20 with tubes for $550. I am not saying the resultant gun wouldn't be a good gun in the field, but it would be heavier than you need. I still shoot a 12 gauge 3" 1100 and wouldn't trade it for anything, but that is not comparing apples and apples. I also have an LT-20 Magnum and 3 barrels - one with tubes.
Good advice here. Also, if it was a standard weight (not an LT) non-magnum you get a lot more interest--skeet shooters love the older standard weight 20 gauges (built on the 12 ga platform) as they are a little heavier and mimic the feel of the 12 gauge. I have an old Skeet B model that I lucked into--the best shooting 20 ga I've ever owned--but the barrels (non-LT) are getting impossible to find...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #23

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ok maybe I am being a little uneducated here, but I thought if I wanted to convert it to 2 3/4 shells all I needed to do was either enlarge the gas ports or buy a barrel that is for 2 3/4 shells. Why would I need to change the action sleeve? Keeping in mind I would never shoot 3" shells again. It would only get 2 3/4 field loads.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #24

The 1100 in both 12 and 20 operates on a system of balanced forces. The magnum guns have one gas port, and a heavier action sleeve; the standard guns have 2 gas ports and a lighter action sleeve. You can put a 2-3/4" barrel on a magnum gun and it will usually cycle pretty much all 2-3/4" loads, but with heavy 2-3/4" loads the extra gasses will get the heavier action sleeve really moving, and the buffer will end up taking a hit on every shot. You can do it and you need to watch that buffer, because when it does start allowing metal to metal contact, you can crack a receiver. As the springs age, you may start getting harder hit even with lighter loads. The lighter standard action sleeve does not hit home with as much force when subjected to heavy loads.
Conversely, the longer pressure pulse with a magnum load gets enough gasses thru the single gas port to get the heavier action sleeve moving enough to complete the action sequencing.
I have shot every combination of barrel and gun and shells for over 40 years with no ill effects, but I do watch things carefully. I am not saying you couldn't do it too, just trying to advise that things can add up to break something, and care is advised. I guess i just don't grasp why you would want a standard magnum receivered 20 gauge gun for anything but pure targets when for about the same net costs you could have an LT-20, with choke tubes. But, it's your gun so do whatever you desire.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #25

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I guess i just don't grasp why you would want a standard magnum receivered 20 gauge gun for anything but pure targets when for about the same net costs you could have an LT-20, with choke tubes. But, it's your gun so do whatever you...
I think you're jumping to conclusions about my question and what I want to do with his gun. I was only asking what it is worth. Now that I know, its not worth it to me to sell, so I made the statement about changing the barrel and keeping he gun. When you commented about the action sleeve you made it sound like light loads would beat it up which I knew was incorrect and I was just asking for clarification. I don't know where you read I was going to be putting a bunch of money into this gun, all I am going to do is change the barrel for $200 and I'm pretty sure I'll never find an LT for that. I personally have no use for a 20 and would only keep it for family to use. The reason why I am keeping this gun is because I already own it. Thanks for the info.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-09-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #26

You're right. I didn't jump to conclusions so much as I was actually trying to do more than one thing at once, and I ain't near as good at that as I once was. And I tend to get caught up in the math. Cost of barrel - $200. Sell gun for $350, add $200, buy another for $550 kind of thing. Sorry.
If all you want to do is shoot light field or target loads, a new barrel should fix you up.
Check these places:
www.corsonsnarrels.com
and
Shotgun Barrels, Used and Replacement Barrels on BarrelExchange.com
Good luck.

Last edited by Virginian; 02-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #27

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default 20 ga

you got a 20 go shoot it there fun and kind to you as for value 250.00 with the cutts 350-500 with out