what model browning 12ga do i have? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what model browning 12ga do i have?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Im surprissed at those low values, i understand if the gun is a rust bucket, shouldnt a belgium a5 be in several 1000s, or has obama killled the collector market too?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #22

Liked 4806 Times on 2327 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
Im surprissed at those low values, i understand if the gun is a rust bucket, shouldnt a belgium a5 be in several 1000s, or has obama killled the collector market too?
Condition is everything. Though the A5 was the first commercially successful Auto, in comparison to modern inertia guns it is simply not a performance level that modern sportsman expect. It's nickname is the "slush a Matic" due to the noise in the receiver while firing.

The one 1 helped ID is a near mint condition 1956 Beguim Standard Model with original owners manual, recorded date of sale, and original soft cast. I told my buddy not to part with it for less than 1k because an A5 collector who's already got a pre war, a Remi build, and Jap model, would pay that or more to round out there collection with a pristine post war Belguim.

I suppose an auction with a room full of the right people could bring more but your giving up 20% to the house.

The Gun Room in Portland OR has several. A dozen or so, beat up A5's of all ranges priced from 600 to 1300 but this shop is known locally to be overpriced and caters to to the Ducks Unlimited Noob who's got more money than experience. From the 1/8" of dust on the mag tube caps of all his A5's, it's quite obvious I was the first guy to handle any of them in quite awhile.

I would like to grab the one I ID'd but the friend is also my Boss, who's not a gun guy, so I'm angling to have it perhaps ADDED to my Christmas Bonus!

Anything designed by the TRUE Mesiah, John Moses Browning IS cool but there were many, many A5's produced and the sporting market on them is just not that strong.

Tack

Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #23

wow. thanks for the history lesson. that makes this gun so much more interesting now and ill have a cool back story wen im showing it off. but as for the reblueing job, it really needs it because my dad rubbed all of the original blue off with a p[iece of sand paper years ago. now its silver and rusted with some pits in the metal. im hoping to shine her up again

Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #24

Liked 4806 Times on 2327 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsshadowninja View Post
wow. thanks for the history lesson. that makes this gun so much more interesting now and ill have a cool back story wen im showing it off. but as for the reblueing job, it really needs it because my dad rubbed all of the original blue off with a p[iece of sand paper years ago. now its silver and rusted with some pits in the metal. im hoping to shine her up again
It's too bad your dad did that, if you get a chance, slap him once for me...

However, it sounds like you have a cherished Familly airloom and given the damage done by neglect and you pop there is no reason to no refinish it as a shooter and enjoy memories of your Granddad everytime you use it!

Another interesting side note. I'm not sure how much you know about the guns designer, JM Browing, but he is still considered the greatest gun designer of all time having brought about a sea change in gun designs with:

Colt Model 1911...Most successful handgun of all time
Auto 5...First successful semi auto shotgun
BAR "Browning Automatic Rifle" WWII issue
M2 Machine gun .50 BMG "still used by US forces"
Several Pocket Auto's that set the stage for every modern CCW Gun
Browning Hi Power...First Hi Cap 9 mm and considered by many an improvement on the 1911

John Browning has an 8th grade education, lived in Utah, and developed most of his designs in his workshed. The man was a genius, I'd recommend doing a little research on him. Knowing the mind that conceived your Gramps gun will only enhance your enjoyment of it...

Have Fun.

Tack

Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #25

On old style A5s like urs, the barrel moves back with the bolt, when fired. When the locked bolt and barrel assembly reach the rear of the reciever, the bolt locks back while the barrel returns forward to battery. When the barrel hits battery, the bolt is released from the rear and closes drivng in a fresh round.

So your failure to eject could be a short cycle, the barrel isnt moving back far enough to disengage the bolt. Or it could be a piece of crudd in the reviecier or bolt st8pping the bolt from unlocking from the barrel.

I would suspect though it needs a real good cleaning and light oiling, followed by the aggressive shooting stance i reccomended before.

If you unload the gun, place the but on the floor grab the barrel and push toward the floor, you can observe the recoil action, if you remove the big recoil spring it will be easier.

Make sure it is unloaded otherwise you may blow yournhead off while lezrning the recoil system.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #26

Oh wow. No I will most defiantly be getting a book on him now though. I love knowing about guns. The history and evolution of their design spikes my interest. This A5 just keeps getting more and more interesting to me. Thank you everyone for all the information you've given me. I've really enjoyed telling my father about his fathers shotgun and I feel that he appreciates that I've taken the same interest in his fathers guns that his father took while how was alive. So thank you all so much for giving me this information. It really allows me to be in tune with this family heirloom. I think my grand father would have loved this forum if he could have been around to talk to such knowledgeable gun smiths and enthusiest. Thank you all again. I will keep y'all posted on the progress. Plan on stripping it tomorrow and giving it a good clean, lube, and reblueing

Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

one of the all time greates shot guns

Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #28

I finished reblueing and cleaning. It looks like a different gun now.

image-4192174487.jpg  

Old 08-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #29

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsshadowninja
I finished reblueing and cleaning. It looks like a different gun now.
Beautiful a5 man, enjoy it or i know someone who will

Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #30

What did you blue it with birchwood casey? A little secret is 0000 steel wool and brownells oxpho blue, lots of rubbing, but don't tell no one.