what is magnum ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what is magnum ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default what is magnum ammo

hi every one
i just purchased my first shotgun remington 870 tactical, i dont know anything about shotgun ammo i just started reading i learned about the sizes i purchased 3 1/2" ammo 00 buckshot then i found out that my shotgun can only shoot 2 3/4 or 3 (that what the barrel says)
now i wanna buy some ammo i wanna make sure that it is safe to shoot with my shot gun, my question is about the 3" 000 magnum buckshot is it safe to shoot this ammo with my shotgun ? and why they call it magnum what does magnum means and what the deference between amo same length and size but one says magnum?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadisahouri View Post
hi every one
i just purchased my first shotgun remington 870 tactical, i dont know anything about shotgun ammo i just started reading i learned about the sizes i purchased 3 1/2" ammo 00 buckshot then i found out that my shotgun can only shoot 2 3/4 or 3 (that what the barrel says)
now i wanna buy some ammo i wanna make sure that it is safe to shoot with my shot gun, my question is about the 3" 000 magnum buckshot is it safe to shoot this ammo with my shotgun ? and why they call it magnum what does magnum means and what the deference between amo same length and size but one says magnum?
Magnum refers to the pressure that a particular cartridge is loaded to in relation to it parent or progenitor cartridge. For example a .357 Magnum is derived from the .38 Special, likewise the .44 Magnum of Dirty Harry fame is derived from the .44 Special. In the case of shotgun shell the 3 1/2 and 3" shells are referred to as Magnum in relation to the standard 2 3/4" loads. If your barrel is marked 2 3/4 and 3" both can be safely fired...the 3 1/2" cannot. Be forewarned, the 3" 000 buck will knock you on your ass if you are not expecting the power that it delivers...pull it up tight to your shoulder and don't let it slam back on you. Bruising is pretty much non-negotiable.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #3

thank you that helped me... and what does it mean when the write low recoil i mean when they say that does it mean it has less power than the same size and length tha doesnt say less recoil?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadisahouri View Post
thank you that helped me... and what does it mean when the write low recoil i mean when they say that does it mean it has less power than the same size and length tha doesnt say less recoil?
yes...recoil is the opposite force of the round firing, to reduce recoil without changing the gun requires less power in the round.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Magnum in a shotgun is different than Magnum in a handgun or rifle. In a handgun or rifle Magnum equates to higher velocity and pressure. In a shotgun Magnum generally means heavier payload at comparable velocity/pressure. A standard 2 3/4" 12 ga shotshell will have a payload (weight of shot) of 1-1 1/2 oz. A 3" shotshell (pretty much all called Magnums) will have a payload of up to 1 7/8 oz.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1844 Times on 1263 Posts
Likes Given: 672

It's amazing how much more manufacturers get into 1/4". A 2 3/4" 00 buckshot has 9 pellets. A 3" 00 buckshot has 15 pellets. With slugs you have a choice. Some brands like Winchester Super X have the same payload with another 1/4" of powder. Other brands put larger slugs in 3" hulls.

I would spend a little time at a site that advanced filtering so you can compare loads. Sometimes the 3" gives you more bang for the buck. Other brands don't give you anything that makes the round more effective.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

FWIW, thre have been different terms to indicate higher power/performance over the years. At the end of the black powder era, the term Express was used- as in Express Train (high speed transit). Magnum is a term used to denote a bottle of wine that is larger than a standard bottle- and was used to denote the higher energy cartridges. At times, Super (.38 Super) were also used to designate the "new and improved" cartridges.

To the OP- read what is on the barrel of your shotgun, and stick to that ammo. Just because it fits into the gun does NOT mean safe to shoot. A 3 inch mag will fit into a shotgun meant for 2 3/4, but is not safe to shoot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

The_Kid Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

And, IMHO 3" ammo has a purpose. Waterfowl hunting and dangerous game. Two legged vermin are not that tough. All you get from 3" buckshot is a thinner wallet, more recoil and slower followup shots.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
A standard 2 3/4" 12 ga shotshell will have a payload (weight of shot) of 1-1 1/2 oz. A 3" shotshell (pretty much all called Magnums) will have a payload of up to 1 7/8 oz.
so you mean even if it doesnt say magnum and its 3" it considered magnumam
please check this ammo link
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/120_259_502/products_id/7597

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #10

and one more question is the recoil from 3" 000 more than 3" 00 or slug?