What Load/Setup would you use?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What Load/Setup would you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default What Load/Setup would you use?

I have a Rem 870 12ga with the cyl 18.5" barrel and I want to hunt deer with a shotgun this year because I never have used a shotgun and want to try it out.Ok,I don't want a rifled barrel for sabot slugs because I can use a rifle in my county if I want to and see no point to buy a rifled barrel when I got rifles.The main reason I want to use a shotgun is because every year I have hunted with a rifle,I have taken my deer at around 40 yards downhill without fail,so whatever kind of load I use,it's short range and I always have a backstop.SO,should I think of using nothing but rifled slugs and maybe a scope on the cyl barrel,or should I think about getting a full choke with maybe rifle sights to use with some 3"00 buck?What would you rather do?

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

personally if i had to use a shotgun i would use a slug. reason being you can control where the slug goes in a deer. buckshot sprays a generally uncontrolled pattern into the deer. there are spots that you DONT want to hit in one as it can easily ruin the meat tainting it with nasty body fluids and solids. or just missing the vitals wounding the critter with multiple holes making for a possibly long tracking session. i rate buckshot for deer right down there with using .223/5.56 on one. you can do it but its not, in my book, ethical.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2555 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Ninja,

Just for information it is not recommended to shoot slugs from a full choke barrel.
Your Cylinder Barrel will work just fine with like Remington Sluggers. You can also get a scope mount for it that just slips into the Fire Control Pin Holes (Trigger and Hammer Pin Holes) on the side of your receiver. If I were you I would forget the 00 Bucks and stay with the Slugs I mentioned. Once you are set up a 50 yard shot with the slugs will probably be impressed with the accuracy. Zero it in from a good rest position. Also do not buy a real cheap scope. They normally do not hold up under the shotgun recoil. Had a buddy that shoots 3 in. slugs. The scope lasted a whole 25 rounds.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

They can be kinda hard to find but i use and highly recomend these.

Black Magic