What is the lightest recoil shotgun load? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is the lightest recoil shotgun load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog View Post
I don't understand your comment. Winchester makes AA powder. They publish load data on the packaging for a light 12 gauge shell. I have not tried it but I would consider it reliable. Not like some guy on the Internet has posted it. Is the AA powder the same powder that Winchester puts in their factory loads? Probably not but I don't know why it makes a difference.
because the composition and formula for the powder makes a huge difference. if the burn rates are different from what they use for factory loaded ammo, vs. what they sell as bulk powder for reloading, then it could cause pressure problems and be potentially dangerous.

i think using published load data from a book is the best course of action to use when reloading any shell. they are proven loads that have been tested to work safely.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #42

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry but I still don't get your point since I am talking about load data published by the powder manufacturer. I don't see the difference whether it is published in a bound book, on the manufacturers website, in a pamphlet or on the packaging of the powder. It is the source of the data, not the publication medium, that matters.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog View Post
Sorry but I still don't get your point since I am talking about load data published by the powder manufacturer. I don't see the difference whether it is published in a bound book, on the manufacturers website, in a pamphlet or on the packaging of the powder. It is the source of the data, not the publication medium, that matters.
a box label isn't load data. how do you know what powder was used for that load?

making an assumption about the powder used is a huge mistake that could be dangerous to you and the firearm and is IMO, very bad advice to those thinking about reloading.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #44

Liked 427 Times on 243 Posts

If it's twelve gauge., then yes the Winchester white box 7 or 8 bird shot is the lightest I've shot. Obviously a .410 is going to be the lightest recoil....or a .20 gauge with a heavier gun. The first guns my wife ever shot were my 12 gauge and my .357 with .38 special in it. She's 5'4 and 110 lbs. She did fine and I never noticed her developing a flinch. Good luck to the op in your search. Have fun shooting.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #45

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of the lowest recoiling shot shell loads you can find will be the B&P 7/8-ounce Competition One at 1160 feet per second. The Gordon System wad helps extend the recoil impulse over a slightly longer period of time which gives the impression of lower recoil.

I use these with an over/under and my wife has no problem shooting 50 to 75 of them in one session. You can often find them at Cabelas or on the Cabelas' website on sale. They can also be purchased directly from B&P.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 01-01-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #46

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't tried them but another potential option is the Aguila Minishell. I have heard they only work in some pump shotguns but would work great in a single shot or double barrel.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #47

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
a box label isn't load data. how do you know what powder was used for that load?

making an assumption about the powder used is a huge mistake that could be dangerous to you and the firearm and is IMO, very bad advice to those thinking about reloading.
Let's try this one more time. Here is a link to the Midway USA listing for a container of Winchester AA Lite smokeless powder http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900322843/winchester-aa-lite-smokeless-powder

If you look at the photo you will see the load data printed on the label on the can of powder. You probably can't make it out from the photo but that's what I am talking about. It is load data for AA Lite powder, of course.

I am not making any assumptions, I am simply pointing out what Winchester has put on the label of the powder that they manufacture.

I happen to be very careful about what I say or post about handloading. I don't post load data, even though I load from reliable sources and never go "off the page". I have pointed people to manufacturers' websites and manufacturers other published load data.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #48

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default What is the lightest recoil shotgun load?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162922/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-4-and-1-buckshot-11-pellets-box-of-20

Out of a 12 gauge, should be like shooting a .22
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Last edited by beastmode986; 01-04-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #49

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

just get some of the winchester low-recoil low-noise loads.