What is the lightest recoil shotgun load? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is the lightest recoil shotgun load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yup cheap bulk skeet/target packs at walmart are usually weak for a 12ga.

If she is really recoil sensitive shotguns are the worst option for shooting. Lots of women like shooting collapsable stock ar15 because the lack of recoil.
Yeah love shooting the AR but she a little recoil sensitive when shooting the shotgun after her first time. She actually did pretty good for her first time. She fired Remington 00buckshot reduced recoil that green box. I recommend them over the Federal box I use that kick pretty hard but hold a nice tight pattern. I try firing a Remington box of #4 buck that thing recoil hard I told her I didn't recommend she try that

Old 12-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #12

Liked 128 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Show off your AK's!
I have a box of Hornady I never tryed out yet
1388248663905.jpg  

Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown_General_Roc View Post
Yeah love shooting the AR but she a little recoil sensitive when shooting the shotgun after her first time. She actually did pretty good for her first time. She fired Remington 00buckshot reduced recoil that green box. I recommend them over the Federal box I use that kick pretty hard but hold a nice tight pattern. I try firing a Remington box of #4 buck that thing recoil hard I told her I didn't recommend she try that
try her with light trap and skeet loads. there are even reduced recoil loads for those making recoil pretty damn light

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown_General_Roc View Post
I have a box of Hornady I never tryed out yet

Hornady critical defense is like gold, mainly because if the verstite wad, I was shooting them through my 18" barrel and 30 yards I was getting 6" group, best stuff you can get

Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopertrooper View Post
Hornady critical defense is like gold, mainly because if the verstite wad, I was shooting them through my 18" barrel and 30 yards I was getting 6" group, best stuff you can get
30 yards or 30 feet?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
30 yards or 30 feet?

30 yards my friends

Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
30 yards or 30 feet?
I know at 30 feet they hold about 2-3" pattern out of my Mossberg and Remington. The Hornady Critical defense load uses the same war as the Federal Flite Control, just under a different name. The Hornady loads are a touch more affoardable than the federal load, and come packed 10 to a box instead if 5 to a box. Hornady also offers the exact same load in their Zombie Max line just in gimmicky packaging. But if I'm looking to buy a good tight patterning buck shot load, any of those three loads are really very similar.

Running these special wad buckshot loads next to standard buckshot loads is truly eye opening in the difference. It's like taking your open choked gun and putting a tight turkey choke in it, simply by changing ammo.

6-7" patterns would not be unreasonable at 30 yds with these loads.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #18

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Well I cannot tell you how awesome the 20GA was! I put about 50 rounds of the birdshot through it and would have gone more but I blew up all of our targets. Loved it, easy shooting, light recoil and fun as hell. Mine has the long barrel on it (28") now, and I want to get the extended mag that will allow 9 + 1. I am open to trying shorter barrels and also want to put some heavier shot through it just to measure the damage and feel of shooting it with buckshot or slugs.

The most important thing when taking your GF/wife/kids or newbie shooting friends is that it is fun for them and they enjoy it. this will make for repeat shooting trips and make them an enthusiast as well. We have all seen the videos where someone shoots and it knocks them on their rear, well while funny to some to watch, probably not going to make them a fan of shooting if they can't move their arm for a week.

You can get a good 20GA for relatively cheap, perhaps a his and hers is in your future? I know I am way more into the shooting hobby if I am responsible for my own gun, cleaning, learning how it works and best of all shooting it!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopertrooper View Post
30 yards my friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I know at 30 feet they hold about 2-3" pattern out of my Mossberg and Remington. The Hornady Critical defense load uses the same war as the Federal Flite Control, just under a different name. The Hornady loads are a touch more affoardable than the federal load, and come packed 10 to a box instead if 5 to a box. Hornady also offers the exact same load in their Zombie Max line just in gimmicky packaging. But if I'm looking to buy a good tight patterning buck shot load, any of those three loads are really very similar.

Running these special wad buckshot loads next to standard buckshot loads is truly eye opening in the difference. It's like taking your open choked gun and putting a tight turkey choke in it, simply by changing ammo.

6-7" patterns would not be unreasonable at 30 yds with these loads.
well call me a doubter! but with an open choked 18" barreled shotgun, i am just having a hard time believing it can still have that tight a group at 30 yards. i may have to do some looking into this particular load and do some testing with it. that's 90 feet and that's a pretty good distance to hold such a tight gruop.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2739 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

6-7" is an unreasonable expectation for a cylinder bore 12 ga with ANY load. Traditional buckshot generally patterns 1"/yard from the target. "Tactical" or "reduced recoil" buckshot will do about 1/2 of that. The flite control wad can give a bit better than that. 8-10" is outstanding at 30 yards

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball