What is the largest animal a 12 gauge will kill
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is the largest animal a 12 gauge will kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is the largest animal a 12 gauge will kill

Given the right round aka sabot, slug etc is there any animal aside from maybe a whale or elephant a 12 gauge wont take down?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #2

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/what-biggest-animal-12-gauge-buckshot-double-barrel-shotgun-can-take-down-18735/

Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #3

I saw that thread but it deals with mainly buckshot. I think a slug/.50sabot is more powerful. I was just doing some research and a .50 sabot can be had at 1900ft/sec delivering over 3K ft/lb ME and 2300 at 100 yards. That is pretty damaging.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #4

nothing guys?

Last edited by Enough Gun; 12-13-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6619 Times on 3517 Posts
Likes Given: 490

probably anything that walks in north america. police in alaska often use 12ga slugs for bear defense, putting down moose that have been hit by cars etc.

the problem with slugs is that on tough creatures slugs are nothing more than solid lead balls that do not have much through and through penetration at longer ranges. they work well on deer and such becasue those creatures are thin skinned and often shot at very close ranges.

a good hunting round is one that maintains its weight without fragmentation and penetrates the animal from one side to the other on a broadside hit. this is sometimes problematic at ranges past 50 yards with a slug on very large animals.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you are close enough and in the right place you could probably kill a blue whale with a 12 gauge but in all honesty it is hardly the right weapon, nor for a whole host of quarry species. Doesn't your prey deserve a little more repect than I wonder what a bird gun could drop ? You might get it right on occasions but you sure as hell will also get it wrong and all you will do is injure. Whatever you've aimed at is only going to die once at least make it as quick and painless as you can.
There is a huge range of firearms dedicated to whatever your interest is, it's all part of the fun learning about them and becoming proficient with them before using them on a live target.
Shotguns have there place but on big boy's targets you need big boys weapons.

photopro

Old 12-15-2009, 01:18 AM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is the point of the question?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #8

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

You all need to get with the times.

Check out Barnes Expander 12 ga sabots with poly tip. Claim 4" groupings at 200 yds. Plenty of energy transfer as they are expanders.

Keep in mind, photopro, the American sense of humor does not translate as the Brit's humor does not either. I doubt anyone would consider taking a blue whale with a 12 ga unless I see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I dont have much experence with shotgun slugs but most common slugs expand way to fast for deep penatration. There are some makers of premium slugs that are made of very hard non expanding metal. This would be your best chance of getting the deep penatration required to take very large animals. Even if the slug in question did have the non expanding properties to take big game, there is the question of the large frontal area to consider. As a projectile gets bigger and blunter the less penatratin it is capable of.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #10

Just a Brenneke slug or 2 from my 870 will dispatch just about anything that walks on this planet... Thats my opinion...