Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What gun do you use for shooting clays?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6678 Times on 4039 Posts
Likes Given: 7940

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
I am too. About to show my naivety once again, but I had no idea until just now that skeet and trap are different sports.
Well, I knew skeet and trap were different. But I see the mention of "sporting clays" and that appears to be something altogether different.

In skeet, I believe the clays cross in front of you, left to right. So the clays are moving side to side but always the same distance away from the shooter.

In trap, I believe the clays come from behind the shooter overhead and moving away. The longer you wait to shoot, the further the clay gets from the shooter.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Well, I knew skeet and trap were different. But I see the mention of "sporting clays" and that appears to be something altogether different.

In skeet, I believe the clays cross in front of you, left to right. So the clays are moving side to side but always the same distance away from the shooter.

In trap, I believe the clays come from behind the shooter overhead and moving away. The longer you wait to shoot, the further the clay gets from the shooter.
That makes sense. I feel like I was told that at some point in my life. Thanks for teaching me something else

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #23

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

A "rib" runs along the top of the barrel, or between the barrels on a side by side. It's intent is to aid your sight picture. Ventilated ribs have become the choice on O/Us or repeaters.
Hit Wikipedia. It explains all the shooting sports rather well last time I looked.

What could have happened... did.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #24

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Trap? Currently a single barrel Browning BT-99 Special. Before that it was a single top grade Miroku (who actually make the BT-99's) which I have a matching, shorter, O/U to for doubles. Before that it was a Remington 870 WingMaster Trap. Before that it was a... Well, I pretty much changed them annually to help the competition -- so many good guns out there, so few years!

browning-bt-99-grey-laminate-special-single-barrel-trap-nickel-steel-34-inch.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post

I am too. About to show my naivety once again, but I had no idea until just now that skeet and trap are different sports.
What I do might not even be a sport haha. I have a clay thrower that steaks into the ground and a hand thrower...go out with a few buddies and bust em up
Old 06-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #26

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Up until about 2 years ago I was shooting this Browning 425...
http://www.firearmstalk.com/classifieds/browning-425-30quot-12ga-170.html

...But as you can see it is for sale, I am currently shooting a Zoli Kronos in 12ga. with 30" barrels.
I use this beauty for every clays game there is. Muller, chokes of course :P They're wonderful.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #27

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
What I do might not even be a sport haha. I have a clay thrower that steaks into the ground and a hand thrower...go out with a few buddies and bust em up
Not an organized competitive sport, but just as fun for most. I really enjoy the competition. This past weekend I shot a two day sporting clays event. Day 1 I tied for first place in my division and Day 2 I took second place in my division.

I won $380 but if I had broken just one more bird it would have been $510...That's how it goes

Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

For sporting clays, I would shoot what I would wing shoot with, mine is the Browning Maxus with a 30" barrel. For trap, j would shoot my favorite gun, Maxus with a 30" barrel

Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19581 Times on 11113 Posts
Likes Given: 49291

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

sporting clays are shot at different stations that simulate different types of hunting. so every station is a different type of shot.

i shot sporting clays many years ago. never had shot trap or skeet. where i lived growing up, even shotgun hunting wasn't usually very common. did a little quail and dove hunting. but i got introduced to sporting clays in about 1990, by some friends and co-workers. now this was some of the most fun i ever had shooting a shotgun! for several years, i got hooked badly on sporting clays! i spent a small fortune on shotguns and ammo and range fees! but it was tremendous fun. many weekends we would shoot sporting clays both Saturday and Sunday.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #30

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
Shotgun + clay targets = sport. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do it.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

People Like This