Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   What gun do you use for shooting clays? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/what-gun-do-you-use-shooting-clays-91979/)

WeaponsExpert 06-08-2013 05:06 PM

What gun do you use for shooting clays?

I am wondering what gun you use for shooting clays! And include your competition gun for skeet and trap shooting?

msup752 06-08-2013 05:25 PM

I have only one shotgun, a Benelli M4. My brother has an Italian over/under he competes with at his range. His gun cost as much as mine but I often beat him with clays. I can only imagine how nice a Benelli clays gun would be!
The M4 has too short of a barrel to compete with. Shucks!

shadecorp 06-08-2013 05:42 PM

Many years ago when shooting Trap and Skeet,
I mainly used my Remington 1100's.
A Trap gun and a Skeet gun.
At times I shot my mdl. 12 Trap gun.
Or an O/U,
or a S/S for Skeet.
Would be great if you had a range that rents,
You could try.the different guns.
Good Luck
Have Fun.

winds-of-change 06-08-2013 06:25 PM

Please bear with me and be patient with me while I learn.

There are shotguns specifically made to shoot trap and skeet? I thought you all used your hunting shot guns. :confused:

And what is the difference between your hunting shotgun and a skeet and trap shotgun?

HockaLouis 06-08-2013 06:38 PM

I wrote (and it disappeared) that I see more semi-autos at sporting clays than other clay sports but there is no one answer as there is no more one sporting clays course of fire than there is one golf course...

Axxe55 06-08-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1271169)
Please bear with me and be patient with me while I learn.

There are shotguns specifically made to shoot trap and skeet? I thought you all used your hunting shot guns. :confused:

And what is the difference between your hunting shotgun and a skeet and trap shotgun?

yes their are some shotguns made just for trap and skeet. and yes many do use their hunting shotguns for shooting trap and skeet and sporting clays.

i'll let someone more knowledgeable about specific trap and skeet guns describe the differences. barrels, stocks and the ribs come to mind as being big differences in the two.

jimogden1984 06-08-2013 06:59 PM

I haven't been many times but do enjoy it. I use what I have, mossberg 500 in 12 ga, s&w 916a in 20 ga. Occasionally I break out the old winchester model 97 in 12 ga but don't shoot that one too often. Been in the family forever and want to keep it in good shape. All have modified choke

308Wins 06-08-2013 07:16 PM

A 12 gauge double barrel, of course

lfcshooter 06-08-2013 07:35 PM

Semi auto beretta drop in multi choke

indy36 06-08-2013 07:46 PM

There are most certainly specific guns for skeet and trap. I've been hanging around the skeet range the past few months and here is what I can tell you...

Most 'serious' shooters (retired old guys) shoot superposed guns. That means 'over-under' shotguns. They tend to be made by Kolar, Krieghoff, and Perazzi. Cost? About 12 grand. That's right, 12 grand. Next is Browning, specifically the Citori. Then over-unders by SKB. Then it's everything else. Most skeet guns will have 26-inch barrels and be choked with a 'skeet' choke. They will have raised vented ribs and a large focus is put on making sure the gun fits you. Most skeet guns are over/unders. The semi-auto isn't used nearly as often and pumps are almost nonexistent.

As for trap, totally different sport. Barrels are longer and the ribs are higher and the chokes are different. The trap gun is even more expensive. You'd want a stock with adjustable comb, length of pull, and cast.

Can you shoot either with a $275 used 870 Wingmaster? Sure. Will you have fun? At first. But, to be serious and good, at some point, you're going to have to buy specific guns to each sport and they are not cheap.

If nothing else, you MUST have the appropriate chokes for each game. You won't hit crap with your home defense pump that has no choke.