What is a good all pourpose combat / hunting shotgun?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is a good all pourpose combat / hunting shotgun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Hdq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Im asking about an ALL pourpose shotgun not a shotgun used ONLY for hunting did you read before posting? Im talking multiple uses Lol i think im getting the mossberg 500

Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #12

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdq
Im asking about an ALL pourpose shotgun not a shotgun used ONLY for hunting did you read before posting? Im talking multiple uses Lol i think im getting the mossberg 500
No reason to be a jerk off to the man above. You have come here and posted random questions, that make you look like a young, inexperienced mall ninja. Now move along, nothing to see here.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #13

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
No reason to be a jerk off to the man above. You have come here and posted random questions, that make you look like a young, inexperienced mall ninja. Now move along, nothing to see here.
Alright, I will admit in the OPs defense, that I baited in his response. You are right, I have noticed his posts seem to come from a lack of experience or possibly maturity. I should not have stooped the level that I did however. These boards are around so folks can learn more about firearms.

Back to you, Hdq:

Your question was really about a shotgun that can pull dual duty as a hunting gun and a fighting gun. You already received some great advice on what products are out there. The Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are great multipurpose pump action shotguns with available replacement barrels for most any role you would want to press a shotgun into. The shotgun itself has always been a very veritile tool for hunting as well as fighting.

Where I will place some aditional guidance is on your insistence on a bayonet lug. I'm guessing you probably have little combat experience. I don't have much myself, being a 19 year Navy Hospital Corpsman who has now worked on submarines for the last 10 years out of 19 on or around submarines. My current sub is a bit "special" and I get to hang out with some fairly serious individuals from time to time and discuss a lot of things with them (None of them that I've met carry bayonets at all, though they do seem to like knives a lot). Also prior to being assigned to sub duty I spent some time deployed on the ground. While I was considered a non-combatant because of my status as a medical rating the Marines like to teach us a few things about keeping ourselves alive so we're around to help keep them alive.

Here is what I learned about bayonets:
They are a good tool in your HAND when things get up close and personal, but a sidearm is better, and there are better knives than most bayonets if it really comes down to it.
If you let someone get close enough that you need a bayonet on a long gun, you probably screwed up and it will probaly be seconds before they are in so close that having the bayonet on the long gun will be more of a handicap than a benefit.
If you need a bayonet on a long gun it should be a really long gun, because the guy with the longest reach has the advantage when it comes to bayonet against bayonet. A shotgun is short by comparison to most other long guns.
You need bayonet training to be able to use a bayonet effectively. If you aren't trained in bayoinet fighting, don't even try.
I'd happily take more ammo over a bayonet to keep people further away so a bayonet is not needed.

I've only had one aggressor get close enough to me that I could have touched him with a bayonet. But things were pretty screwed up ( He already made it past two Marines) and he was too close to employ a bayonet mounted on anything. My sidearm, (and more than that, TRAINING), is what saved me.

Bayonets were great on battlefields when men used to charge headlong into each other, but with mag fed firearms, it's better to just keep shooting, reload and shoot more.

If you are serious about using your shotgun for defense, and you think you could get into a situation where you were facing so many people trying to kill you that you could possibly need a bayonet... Then you need to take a class and learn to run a shotgun under stress in long protracted scenarios that force you to keep it fed. Becasue your biggest challenge with a shotgun as a defensive tool against multiple agressors or agressors behind cover or anyother scenario that forces you to keep a shotgun running for an extended period of time, will be keeping it fed. A 5, 6 or 9 shot capacity is really not that much and the biggest disadvantage of a shotgun is that limited capacity and the fact that you can only load shells directly into the mag tube. So, you need to get good at it, and be able to do it on the run or from awkward positions behind cover. Also going "prone" with a shotgun requires some modification because operating the pump, and reloading still need to be accomplished, and you need to position yourself in a way that those things can still happen, while lowering your profile and being able to find cover.

Now for hunting, and nice 26-28" vent ribbed barrel with dual beads is pretty fast and accurate and I like a full choke, but many others prefer a modified or improved cylinder.

Pattern whatever barrel you get with different manufacturers loads and see which works best for your needs.

Good luck. Sorry for my previous, immature poke at your post, but really try to open your mind to the info guys are feeding back to you, and notice most of the recommended guns had no bayonet provisions. There is probably a reason. Unless you have vast experience with a bayonet and have found that you are so good with one that folks would have a hard time matching you with one, I'd forget about it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #14

Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I own 5 of the 500s and an 835 and would also go with the Mossy, mostly because of the safety location, but also because of my dealings with customer service. They aren't the fastest shipper but will sell you most of the gun in part form and work with you to get it right. I would get the plastic stocks or better yet a speedfeed and forget the pistol grip and bayo lug. I'm one of the few people I know who has a bayo for their ARs and it sits in the safe, if you decide later that you miss the pistol grip, find me here, have 2 of them in a box where they work best.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 08-26-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

Check out the Mossberg flex. You can turn it into whatever you want in just minutes.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #16

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdq
Thats a nice setup blakester has on the 870 I really like the bayonet lug on the 590 i think im just going to go with the mossberg 500 and just weld a bayonet lug onto the home defense barrel at big 5 they sell a mossberg 500 that comes with 2 barells for only 350$
If you watch the weekly sales sometimes they will have em for around 280, (around christmas i think was 250 with coupon) i love big5

Old 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #17

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I like the Stoeger Industries M2000

20120710_143715-1.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Now you're talkin'...

mossberg-500-w-polychoke-b.jpg  

Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Here's a good one for you. Walking around a gunshow one day and I found what appeared to be an old Ithica shotgun with a 20" barrel. I was checking it out and discovered it was made in China (go figure) but it was $150 so I bought it. That sucker is a damn good shotgun and defends my home well, smooth pump, wood stock and easy to swing + it holds 5 rounds with one in the pipe.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #20
Hdq

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Alright, I will admit in the OPs defense, that I baited in his response. You are right, I have noticed his posts seem to come from a lack of experience or possibly maturity. I should not have stooped the level that I did however. These boards are around so folks can learn more about firearms.

Back to you, Hdq:

Your question was really about a shotgun that can pull dual duty as a hunting gun and a fighting gun. You already received some great advice on what products are out there. The Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are great multipurpose pump action shotguns with available replacement barrels for most any role you would want to press a shotgun into. The shotgun itself has always been a very veritile tool for hunting as well as fighting.

Where I will place some aditional guidance is on your insistence on a bayonet lug. I'm guessing you probably have little combat experience. I don't have much myself, being a 19 year Navy Hospital Corpsman who has now worked on submarines for the last 10 years out of 19 on or around submarines. My current sub is a bit "special" and I get to hang out with some fairly serious individuals from time to time and discuss a lot of things with them (None of them that I've met carry bayonets at all, though they do seem to like knives a lot). Also prior to being assigned to sub duty I spent some time deployed on the ground. While I was considered a non-combatant because of my status as a medical rating the Marines like to teach us a few things about keeping ourselves alive so we're around to help keep them alive.

Here is what I learned about bayonets:
They are a good tool in your HAND when things get up close and personal, but a sidearm is better, and there are better knives than most bayonets if it really comes down to it.
If you let someone get close enough that you need a bayonet on a long gun, you probably screwed up and it will probaly be seconds before they are in so close that having the bayonet on the long gun will be more of a handicap than a benefit.
If you need a bayonet on a long gun it should be a really long gun, because the guy with the longest reach has the advantage when it comes to bayonet against bayonet. A shotgun is short by comparison to most other long guns.
You need bayonet training to be able to use a bayonet effectively. If you aren't trained in bayoinet fighting, don't even try.
I'd happily take more ammo over a bayonet to keep people further away so a bayonet is not needed.

I've only had one aggressor get close enough to me that I could have touched him with a bayonet. But things were pretty screwed up ( He already made it past two Marines) and he was too close to employ a bayonet mounted on anything. My sidearm, (and more than that, TRAINING), is what saved me.

Bayonets were great on battlefields when men used to charge headlong into each other, but with mag fed firearms, it's better to just keep shooting, reload and shoot more.

If you are serious about using your shotgun for defense, and you think you could get into a situation where you were facing so many people trying to kill you that you could possibly need a bayonet... Then you need to take a class and learn to run a shotgun under stress in long protracted scenarios that force you to keep it fed. Becasue your biggest challenge with a shotgun as a defensive tool against multiple agressors or agressors behind cover or anyother scenario that forces you to keep a shotgun running for an extended period of time, will be keeping it fed. A 5, 6 or 9 shot capacity is really not that much and the biggest disadvantage of a shotgun is that limited capacity and the fact that you can only load shells directly into the mag tube. So, you need to get good at it, and be able to do it on the run or from awkward positions behind cover. Also going "prone" with a shotgun requires some modification because operating the pump, and reloading still need to be accomplished, and you need to position yourself in a way that those things can still happen, while lowering your profile and being able to find cover.

Now for hunting, and nice 26-28" vent ribbed barrel with dual beads is pretty fast and accurate and I like a full choke, but many others prefer a modified or improved cylinder.

Pattern whatever barrel you get with different manufacturers loads and see which works best for your needs.

Good luck. Sorry for my previous, immature poke at your post, but really try to open your mind to the info guys are feeding back to you, and notice most of the recommended guns had no bayonet provisions. There is probably a reason. Unless you have vast experience with a bayonet and have found that you are so good with one that folks would have a hard time matching you with one, I'd forget about it.
I too am sorry for being an Ahole you are correct about me being a youngster fresh outta highschool i i am currently in the marine corp this is my second year into my 4 year active term my mos is 1371 a combat engineer, you clearly have more experience than me and have served longer than me so again with respect very sorry sir, during training we used the mossberg 590a1 to breach doors it did have a bayonet lug but i admit we never did use it during training at all. the only time i have ever trained with the bayonet is during the bayonet assault course during mcrd in bootcamp we would scream AGHHHHH MARINE CORP ,MARINE CORP! KILL! And it felt awesome doing it. But that is not the only reason why id like to own a shotgun with a bayonet . I remember watching a news story awhile back ,multiple agressors with firearms aproximately 3 wearing body armor vests that broke into a mans suburban home while he was asleep they had been observing him and knew he was home alone they kicked down his door the man was armed with a shotgun loaded with only 5 rounds of bird shot he shot all 5 of his rounds at the assailants he managed to wound one of them but after he was out of ammo, instead of fleeing the assailants decided to beat the poor man and shoot him execution style, from this story it kinda got me thinking if he would of had a bayonet maybe he would have wouned or killed 2 instead of just 1 or maybe all 3 if he charged with a bayonet shouting aghhh! KILL KILL! anyways i have some training experience with a bayonet and i think it would be a good idea for me i know it may seem silly to others, but to me mounting a bayonet onto a home defense barrel on a shotgun seems tactical and it will always be there if im out of ammo and i wont need to worry about the shotgun being to long beacause i will be installing an ATI side folding buttstock and the bayonet will be mounted on an 18 inch home defense barrel its not very long with a foldable buttstock it should be okay for cqb, now for hunting that is a whole diffrent story i will not be using a bayonet lug to hunt that is just rediculous. ill just simply swap my barrels when im going hunting and back to home defense back home. I am glad we cleared this internet argument like men and again sir im sorry for my imaturity. Id like to Thank you for taking the time to write this post and id also like to also thank you for your service, the corpman are awesome at what they do. they are the marine corps doctors we marines very much appreciate them espescially the ones that had the opportunity to see combat again thank you.