Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   what is the flap on some magazine loader port? (

dwilliams131 05-09-2009 01:07 AM

what is the flap on some magazine loader port?
Allow me to prove my ignorance. I am VERY new to shotguns but am looking for a home-defense gun. I notice that some SG's have a flap over the magazine loader port (including some cheaper guns) and some do not (including some more expensive ones). I would think this flap helps keep debris out, right? So why do some of the nicer guns (mossy) not have them, but cheaper ones (pardner, IAC) do? what am I missing?

robocop10mm 05-09-2009 09:49 PM

I believe you are referring to the lifter. This part is not intended to keep debris out but to literally lift the next round from the mag tube level up to the barrel level so it can be chambered. Bottom eject guns like the Ithaca M-37 and the Browning BPS do not have a lifter in the traditional sense. The lifter can be skeletonized on some guns or have a slot cut in it to help clear a jam.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.