What is effective slug range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is effective slug range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default What is effective slug range

My shotgun experience is with birds and clays, so I don't really know much about slugs. What is the effective range of a slug out of a 12ga?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are we talking smooth bore or rifled barrel?

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Are we talking smooth bore or rifled barrel?

Give me both, but smooth bore is the most likely scenario.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Give me both, but smooth bore is the most likely scenario.
Shooting high end sabboted slugs out of a rifled barrel you can shoot 200 yards fairly easily. Out of a smooth bore then id say 60 yards max you could pie pan 3 slugs

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Shooting high end sabboted slugs out of a rifled barrel you can shoot 200 yards fairly easily. Out of a smooth bore then id say 60 yards max you could pie pan 3 slugs

I concur. I'm in Illinois and slug hunt for deer. If you want to go longer range, you have to go rifled barrel. I shoot a Remington Sabot that runs about $11/5 on sale. They are 385 grain sabots and leave the muzzle at 1850 fps. The knockdown power is awesome. I am sighted in at 100 yards and can cloverleaf from a benchrest.

Used to hunt with a Winchester 1300 smooth bore barrel and while the slugs are much cheaper, I wouldn't trust that gun much past 70 yards or so.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Agree with the gents above me. Problem with slugs is that the drop in velocity begets a VERY arching trajectory. Over 200 there may still be minute of whitetail accuracy (with a rifled barrel) but the ability to read the distance will make or break the shot. With smoothbore, problems becomes apparent even more quickly.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Out to 100 yds no sweat with M500's and smooth bores. Did take one at 150yds, into a 20 MPH wind. Slug grooved heart but did not penetrate into opp side chest wall. That was a 2 3/4" WW 1 oz foster.

I've had good luck with rifled/tuned 870s. Shots have been 95 yards and under though- ran WW Hi Impact Supreme 2 3/4".

Oh yeah, I buy all my slugs from the same lot #

I did a few yrs ago go old school and try an 870 police magnum, used an Aimtech mount, smoothbore bbl.........Active slugs. The bbl fit badly into the receiver, so I added two layers of masking tape to the degreased flange and then tapped the bbl in with a wood block. Snugged mag cap with
leather and channel lock. Nice n tight and I don't think aligned for odd ringout or over stress. Oh yeah, another thing, I leave the guns together until after season deep clean.

That helped that gun shoot OK, was maybe a 4" rig at 100. Nothing spectacular. Never tried other slugs in it, got a batch at a screamin' good price so set it up for that. Took an 8pt opening day at 25 yards LOL. Slug fragmented on opp shoulder. Not too happy with that, he didn't go too far but should have gone down a little closer IMHO.

Most folks buy slugs from mixed lots, aren't used to the recoil, shoot guns with crappy triggers, improperly set up scopes/rings/bases and take their barrels off and on during season. All those variables can wreak havoc on accuracy and cause frustration.

Frustration alone can make for even worse shooting. High dollar slugs? Can get to frustrated way sooner!

When testing it's best to minimize variables, change things one at a time (if need be).

Most slug guns can shoot better than the person behind them, if some variable minimizing things are done, a good load found, and a decent technique in handling recoil is developed.

I use a pistol case when doing a lot of bench testing and sit pretty upright. Simulates body roll comparable to field positions, big recoil, slow projectiles.........it's important. Cranking a slug gun in a sight vise, leaning way over the bench, don't be surprised if your shots go high when afield.

Seen it over and over.

I like slug guns, they're mean and get the job done!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #8

After all my blabber I guess I should answer the OP's question..........I'd run fosters in smoothbores, if the gun shoots them well, to 100 yards no sweat. Sabot slugs I'd go 150. Just using limits that may offer margins of error.

I am curious as to the 3.5" 20 gauge custom stuff..............never tried it but heard it stretches things out a bit.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

My handload 7/8 OZ foster slug load will shoot 20 rounds into a 8 1/2 X 14 sheet of paper at 100 yards. That is off hand, standing (I have several members here who witnessed it). I consider that pretty effective.

Minute of bad guy? I feel pretty confident out to 200 yards. I seriously doubt you would let me lob a couple at you at 400.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #10

Maybe my bad. I thought ""effective" to be hit and drive a slug deep, as in context with deer hunting (my applications of such ammo).
If I want to kill stuff at 200 and out I'll just use one of my rifles and dot an eye