What do you keep in your shotgun???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What do you keep in your shotgun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What do you keep in your shotgun???

I have an NEF Pardner Pump (yes, I know that it's a clone of a Remington 870 made in China, and I should have bought American; It was my first gun and I won't make that mistake again!) that I keep for home defense. I was just wondering...What kind of shot do you all keep/use for home defense? What would be the most effective, safest (as far as not injuring unintended targets) if you did have to fire one or two off? Right now I have a good supply of 00 and 8, but I'd like to know what some of you experts think.

My home defense system? A Rottie and a shotty...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

#4 Turkey shot and #8 Birdshot, with back up slugs on the side, if needed in my HD shotty.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

I think it was Best Defense I was watching when they did a penetration test with various shotgun loads. They used double sheets of drywall to mimic in home conditions.

They tested slugs, 00, 4, and 8. #8 shot was the only thing that did not over-penetrate. Slugs and 00 will definitely go through your house into the next guy's unless you have brick walls.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 3" Buffered 000 Copper Plated Buckshot 10 Pellets Box of 5

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=624573

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I think it was Best Defense I was watching when they did a penetration test with various shotgun loads. They used double sheets of drywall to mimic in home conditions.

They tested slugs, 00, 4, and 8. #8 shot was the only thing that did not over-penetrate. Slugs and 00 will definitely go through your house into the next guy's unless you have brick walls.
That's good to know.
When I took it out shooting, I knew right away that I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in front of somebody holding one loaded with #8 (I wouldn't want to be standing in front of anyone holding a gun loaded with anything obviously), but I just wanted to hear what some of you had to say about it.

What about this question...Purely hypothetical. Say that a thug enters your house with a knife and refuses to drop it or keeps coming at you. Are you going for the kill shot, or are you aiming for something else, say the knees?
Do you have a home defense strategy planned out?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by igordog View Post
That's good to know.
When I took it out shooting, I knew right away that I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in front of somebody holding one loaded with #8 (I wouldn't want to be standing in front of anyone holding a gun loaded with anything obviously), but I just wanted to hear what some of you had to say about it.

What about this question...Purely hypothetical. Say that a thug enters your house with a knife and refuses to drop it or keeps coming at you. Are you going for the kill shot, or are you aiming for something else, say the knees?
Do you have a home defense strategy planned out?
There is no such thing as a warning shot...the decision to use deadly force means you shoot to end the threat...fast, hard and absolutely.

Think about defending yourself from this question..."You only shot him in the leg, so I guess he really wasn't that much of a threat to you...right."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Say that a thug enters your house with a knife and refuses to drop it or keeps coming at you. Are you going for the kill shot, or are you aiming for something else, say the knees?
You shoot to end the threat, always aiming for center mass.
no warning shots as already said.
guns should be loaded and ready to go.
And I love anyone who says they think the sound of racking the slide will scare someone away. lets play that one in real life.

You: gun loaded, chamber empty. You hear an intruder. You enter living room in the dim evening light. you see intruder. you rack slide.

Intruder: hyped up on adrenaline rush from breaking into your house. standing in living room hawking out something to steal. sees you enter the room, hears you rack that slide. Shoots you with the pistol hes carrying because you didnt shoot him first.

= bad idea.

all that said. I do not believe in a shotgun as a HD gun. Mine stays in the safe. Remington 870 special field, loaded with 3" #4 copper plated buffered magnums. Primary HD is my EDC, HK USP9C, 15rds Winchester Ranger 124gr bonded. spare mag in my top dresser drawer. Secondary guns are Keltec pf9 in bedroom closet, and Taurus pt92afs in hall closet. If this isnt enough to get me to the safe for the AR's, so be it.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
all that said. I do not believe in a shotgun as a HD gun. Mine stays in the safe. Remington 870 special field, loaded with 3" #4 copper plated buffered magnums. Primary HD is my EDC, HK USP9C, 15rds Winchester Ranger 124gr bonded. spare mag in my top dresser drawer. Secondary guns are Keltec pf9 in bedroom closet, and Taurus pt92afs in hall closet. If this isnt enough to get me to the safe for the AR's, so be it.
Why don't you believe in the shotgun for HD? Is it just because you prefer the stopping power of the EDC, HK USP9C, or is there another reason?

I like what I've read here so far...It's been very informative.

"You only shot him in the leg, so I guess he really wasn't that much of a threat to you...right."
I guess that this makes me/whoever is in this position the "bad guy"?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #9

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Why don't you believe in the shotgun for HD? Is it just because you prefer the stopping power of the EDC, HK USP9C, or is there another reason?

I like what I've read here so far...It's been very informative.

"You only shot him in the leg, so I guess he really wasn't that much of a threat to you...right."
I guess that this makes me/whoever is in this position the "bad guy"?
Maybe not the bad guy but it lessens your case that you resorted to deadly force as a last resort to defend against a threat on your life.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

No 7½ or 8 shot are more than adequate loads for home defense and you don’t have to worry too much about taking out your kid sleeping in an adjoining room. We are talking feet here not yards. You might feel a little better having one or two buckshot loads in the gun but your first one or two shots inside the house should resolve any problem. Take the plug out of your gun and fill it up.