What do u all think of the ithica model 37 in 20ga - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What do u all think of the ithica model 37 in 20ga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

One of my all time favorites...

Old 10-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #12

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishpointer View Post
I've never had a problem with the bottom feed trying to reload on the move. When the dogs on point the dogs on point. He won't break until I release him.
The bird will run no matter how good your dog might be. Why dick around and make it harder on the dog that is begging you to shoot the bird? Most of the time when I was shooting an Ithaca I borrowed it. I never got a chance to get used to the gun or for an Ithaca to win me over.

I am happy with Mossbergs. I know exactly what is going on without looking. Why should I buy a gun I have to get used too? They both are great guns. I just prefer a Mossberg. If I was left handed I would be searching for a gun that fit me. I would likely own a Ithaca or Browning Pump (BPS) if I was left handed

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #13

Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One great gun.

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I believe Ithica is under new management and production has moved to Ohio. Based on the quality and price, it appears that they are targeting the high quality pump market, along with Browning.

I handled a new Ithica 37 at Cabelas and it was beautiful. The rib was dovetailed to the barrel, the bolt was jeweled, and the fit & finish seemed to be miles ahead of other pumps like the 870. If I were in the market for a pump, I would be tempted to spend the extra money for the Ithica and keep it forever.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #15

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

Almost everyone has a big preference for safety locations it would appear. I happen to have a similar strong preference for side eject and single loading. I think the BPS is as good as it gets design wise, but I could never warm up to that bottom loading, even though I had three that never bobbled once. I never owned an Ithaca, but have shot them plenty, and they are nice to carry afield. The Ithacas have a dedicated following, like the Model 12s and the 16 gauge. Enjoy yours in good health.

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Ive had an early 70's Featherlight for 30 years and its the best shotguns Ive ever owned. Ive got the Buckbuster Barrel and the Bird Barrel and its been a great piece, never fails. I shoot ambidextrous so I love the bottom eject, reloading isnt a big deal when you get used to it. It does have a little more kick than my Grandfathers Rem M11, My old Mossy or Wards Western but worth ever ounce of it if your carrying it all day long.