What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Has anyone here ever shot a blue whale with a slug?
I have. One shot, one kill. Blue whales aren't sh!t against my Winchester 1300 and a rifled choke!

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Has anyone here ever shot a blue whale with a slug?
Nope, Michael Moore still lives....

Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe I've just lived a really sheltered life, but I've never found myself in a situation where I thought there was even a minuscule chance that I would need to shoot an elephant.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have to strongly disagree with most in here. First off I have shot exactly one animal with buckshot and that was a coyote, and one small deer with a slug, so my experence is limited. However I have been a student of terminal ballistics for 5 decades. I studied the arms and ammo of proffessional hunters and outdoorsmen. Seldom do I put much creedence in us weekenders not because we are skilled but most arent good observers. I especially study African guns. I have never heard of an African profesional hunter ever using a shotgun with 00 buck against wounded lions ( not saying that a few might have, I have never heard of one and I have been reading African hunting stories for 45 years). There are a few that have tried 00 buck on wounded leapord, many have nearly gotten mauled or have got mauled when 00 buck failed to stop an attack by an already wounded and weak 150# leopard. Craig Bottington just wrote an article for a hunting magazine about buckshot. He once shot a leopard twice in the head with a 12 guage using 00 buck and literally watched both loads bounce off its skull. Not my idea of stopping power. However he had some good luck at close range lung shots on animals. Since the original post did not ask about slugs I wont comment. I have studied this subject as well over the years, and I have serious doubts about slugs on elephants. Again I would like to make it clear I dont have any experence with shotguns against game though I have ALOT of experence on big game.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I shoot a killer Bull Frogs with my 12GA.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
RMc

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Buckshot is no longer limited to Little Pellet 00B or 000B

Tight patterning buckshot loads are available with .60 caliber 3/4th ounce pellets. 00B is just .33 caliber and 54 grain pellets.

There is no comparison.

Last edited by RMc; 10-23-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
TxG

Your question is too general...there are just too variables to consider: distance, shot placement, type of animal, disposition of animal...example: a Cape Buffalo is a whole lot different than a domestic bull in terms of aggression and will-to-live, though their sizes can be approx. the same. While I might consider walking out in a pasture and killing a bull with a 12 gauge slug, I damn sure wouldn't want to try a Cape Buffalo armed with the same.

You could take down almost any animal at contact range with a 12 gauge carrying 000 or 00 buck or a slug.

In a hunting situation, you generally want to stay in the deer, black bear, wild hog, or drug-enraged 300 lb biker, at the high end. More than that, a rifle in the appropriate caliber is better.

Last edited by TxG; 10-23-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I have. One shot, one kill. Blue whales aren't sh!t against my Winchester 1300 and a rifled choke!
Same here...I was holding a beer, too!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Same here...I was holding a beer, too!
I had a buddy holding mine...was afraid the recoil might make me spill some.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good job. Spilling beer is a sin. We can't have that!