What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down?

I'm assuming it can't take down an elephant, but correct me if i'm wrong. What's the biggest animal it can take down?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

I just want specify something. The only time I would ever shoot an elephant is in self defense.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Deer, Elk and Black bear with smooth bore 12 gauge shotguns using rifled slugs, extremely accurate out to 110 yards or more, while the rifled barrel shotgun with the use of sabot slugs are typically accurate to 110 yards and beyond, well within the range of the majority of kill shots by experienced deer hunters using shotguns, usually in dense, brushy wooded areas. Larger bears I will have to say distance, slug load and possibly multiple shots, would play a big factor.

To bring down a man, slugs or .00 buck at close range to head or chest will usually do, but other loads will suffice depending on range to target. A 12 gauge will usually do, but smaller gauges of shotguns and loads have been known to do the job also.

If you happen to have access to a military Automatic Assault 12 gauge shotgun (AA-12) that shoots 12 gauge fragmentation high explosive rounds or slugs, though not a big game gun and I have never killed an elephant myself, a round placed in the right area of an elephant's head or chest/lung/heart area, it will probably bring it down, one shot, taking off part or more of its head.

Disclaimer: Please do not try this on an elephant. JFYI only.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 10-03-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling and disclaimer

Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

With enough force behind the slug, and put in the right place, probably about damn near anything.

The elephant has a really small brain, but if you sent the slug through the eye ball and were able to hit it, I would imagine it would bring it down.

Would it be safe to attempt, or even recommended? No. Not by a long shot.

But anything with that kind of power behind that big of a slug has the POTENTIAL to end anything's life....

What a weird question...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2699 Times on 1410 Posts
Likes Given: 216

It is not specific to the double barrel question, but the preferred weapon for many professional hunters in Africa when pursuing wounded lions in heavy cover is a 12ga pump shotgun loaded with 00 buck shot. Lions are big, tough and obviously dangerous.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8734 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

As Robo said- the 12 g has been referred to as "The Poor Man's Express Rifle". Realizing the SHARP limitation of range on shotgun vs rifle, and the even sharper limit of buckshot (about 40-50 yds on thin skinned critters), there is probably not an animal on the planet (with the POSSIBLE exception of a Blue Whale ) that has not been killed with a 12 gauge shotgun.

It would not be my first choice for a grizzly, but if one was in my tent, and gnawing on my Chuck Taylors, it would do.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Within shotgun ranges, a 12ga with 00 buck is a hard hitting round. I would feel safe defending myself against anything in north america with it. I would prefer a pump with 5-8+ rounds over a double against something like brown bear but thats just me. The round itself is strong.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #8

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Id probablynot feel safe given the specifications you gave, using it on anything the size of a bear or larger. Buckshots a good load, but I wouldnt expect it to stop Mr. Grizz in his tracks!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #9

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

It's legal here to hunt moose with a 12 ga slug. Lots of guys use them and are very successful with them.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone here ever shot a blue whale with a slug?