Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/what-biggest-animal-12-gauge-buckshot-double-barrel-shotgun-can-take-down-18735/)

MP1000 10-01-2009 05:52 PM

What is the biggest animal a 12 gauge buckshot double barrel shotgun can take down?

I'm assuming it can't take down an elephant, but correct me if i'm wrong. What's the biggest animal it can take down?

Thanks!

MP1000 10-01-2009 07:14 PM

I just want specify something. The only time I would ever shoot an elephant is in self defense.

IGETEVEN 10-01-2009 07:16 PM

Deer, Elk and Black bear with smooth bore 12 gauge shotguns using rifled slugs, extremely accurate out to 110 yards or more, while the rifled barrel shotgun with the use of sabot slugs are typically accurate to 110 yards and beyond, well within the range of the majority of kill shots by experienced deer hunters using shotguns, usually in dense, brushy wooded areas. Larger bears I will have to say distance, slug load and possibly multiple shots, would play a big factor.

To bring down a man, slugs or .00 buck at close range to head or chest will usually do, but other loads will suffice depending on range to target. A 12 gauge will usually do, but smaller gauges of shotguns and loads have been known to do the job also.

If you happen to have access to a military Automatic Assault 12 gauge shotgun (AA-12) that shoots 12 gauge fragmentation high explosive rounds or slugs, though not a big game gun and I have never killed an elephant myself, a round placed in the right area of an elephant's head or chest/lung/heart area, it will probably bring it down, one shot, taking off part or more of its head. ;)

Disclaimer: Please do not try this on an elephant. JFYI only.

Jack

Dillinger 10-01-2009 07:19 PM

With enough force behind the slug, and put in the right place, probably about damn near anything.

The elephant has a really small brain, but if you sent the slug through the eye ball and were able to hit it, I would imagine it would bring it down.

Would it be safe to attempt, or even recommended? No. Not by a long shot.

But anything with that kind of power behind that big of a slug has the POTENTIAL to end anything's life....

What a weird question...:confused:

robocop10mm 10-01-2009 07:43 PM

It is not specific to the double barrel question, but the preferred weapon for many professional hunters in Africa when pursuing wounded lions in heavy cover is a 12ga pump shotgun loaded with 00 buck shot. Lions are big, tough and obviously dangerous.

c3shooter 10-01-2009 07:49 PM

As Robo said- the 12 g has been referred to as "The Poor Man's Express Rifle". Realizing the SHARP limitation of range on shotgun vs rifle, and the even sharper limit of buckshot (about 40-50 yds on thin skinned critters), there is probably not an animal on the planet (with the POSSIBLE exception of a Blue Whale :D) that has not been killed with a 12 gauge shotgun.

It would not be my first choice for a grizzly, but if one was in my tent, and gnawing on my Chuck Taylors, it would do.

spittinfire 10-01-2009 07:53 PM

Within shotgun ranges, a 12ga with 00 buck is a hard hitting round. I would feel safe defending myself against anything in north america with it. I would prefer a pump with 5-8+ rounds over a double against something like brown bear but thats just me. The round itself is strong.

BigByrd47119 10-01-2009 07:59 PM

Id probablynot feel safe given the specifications you gave, using it on anything the size of a bear or larger. Buckshots a good load, but I wouldnt expect it to stop Mr. Grizz in his tracks!

davemccarthy707 10-01-2009 08:04 PM

It's legal here to hunt moose with a 12 ga slug. Lots of guys use them and are very successful with them.

Gojubrian 10-01-2009 09:34 PM

Has anyone here ever shot a blue whale with a slug?