what am i doing wrong?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > what am i doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default what am i doing wrong?

i have a 12 gauge pardner pump protector, i've had it a few months and have fired several rounds of buckshot through it. it fires great and its very accurate with the low recoil buckshot that i use, i deer hunt with it using slugs and it is accurate with those too. my problem is when i fire the slugs at times it will fire and the forarm will come back as soon as i fire, which will eject the fired casing but it won't release another shell up to be put in chamber. i push the forarm forward then release it back and it puts the shell in. i tried pushing forward on the forarm as i fire and then when i fire i push back and it ejects and puts a new round in. but its unnatural for me to do it that way, i prefer to holding back on the forarm. it doesn't do it everytime but does it quite regular with slugs, doesn't do it with shotshells or buckshot. whats going on?, i love this gun and its got so smooth on its action that it feel like its sliding on butter. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

The mechanism normally keeps the bolt locked until you release the trigger- at which point it is free to move.

The bolt lock is either dirty, dry, or broken. Strip, clean, lube, examine.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree with C3. sounds like normal function as my Maverick M88 and my Winchester SXP both do this with slugs as well. might be due to the harder recoil of the slugs that it's being noticed more.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Odds are its the heavier recoil.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

This has never happened to me but I would recommend trying that C3 suggested as well.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1777 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 9873

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i have a 12 gauge pardner pump protector, i've had it a few months and have fired several rounds of buckshot through it. it fires great and its very accurate with the low recoil buckshot that i use, i deer hunt with it using slugs and it is accurate with those too. my problem is when i fire the slugs at times it will fire and the forarm will come back as soon as i fire, which will eject the fired casing but it won't release another shell up to be put in chamber. i push the forarm forward then release it back and it puts the shell in. i tried pushing forward on the forarm as i fire and then when i fire i push back and it ejects and puts a new round in. but its unnatural for me to do it that way, i prefer to holding back on the forarm. it doesn't do it everytime but does it quite regular with slugs, doesn't do it with shotshells or buckshot. whats going on?, i love this gun and its got so smooth on its action that it feel like its sliding on butter. thanks
May be a stupid question but, when you were shooting the gun did you have your off hand on the forend? My 870 did this when I went to sight it in, and my off hand was on the shooting sticks, not the fore end. Needless to say, It would eject, and the slide would sometimes stick. Tru shooting the shotgun with your off hand at the mid point of the forend if that is the case.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well it ain't the gun, kinda figured it was me. took it to my local gun store and we went outside and did some testing. here is what the gunsmith said to me. when i shoot slugs i have a habit of pulling back on the forarm which isn't a bad thing except i'm a small guy and the heavy kick flies the forarm back so fast the shells in the magazine are still reacting to recoil and didn't have time to settle to release. we tried low recoil buckshot and regular shot loads and the gun was perfect. with the slugs i had trouble 3 out of 5 times, the two times i didn't have trouble i hadn't brought the forarm all the way back during the kick, there was still about half inch movement left. when i brought it the rest of the way it released the next round. i was using winchester slugs but have remington too which i haven't tried yet. the smith wanted me to try something, he said just hold the forarm in my hand firmly and use my stock grip to pull back on the gun. i fired 10 perfect rounds, the forarm released but only came back slightly till i cycled it which was flawless. thanks for everyones help and by the way i got a buck yesterday on the last day of the season. thanks again

Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

glad to hear you got the problem resolved!