Westernfield
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Westernfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Westernfield

I've had a Westernfield 550 20 guage for a couple of years now. I picked it up for a song ($85). It is in very good shape. I've fired a few shells from it but haven't done any hunting with it. I cleaned it up really good this weekend . Any way, I've not done much shotgun hunting in my life. Outside of a few quail when I was a kid. Maybe some squirrels and rabbits and snakes and turtles. No turkeys or ducks or geese or pheasants. This is a 20 ga with a 28" full choke and I was curious as to what this shotgun is set up for?. Is this a quail gun or a squirrel gun? I would guess it would work for most birds, though not ideal. I really don't know what its best application is. I understand that a lot of turkey, geese and duck hunters probably say a 12 guage is minimum. This may be true but I just don't know about shotguns that much. It shoots really nice for a cheapy and It cleaned up pretty well. I just kinda need to know what its really good for if anything. What do you guys think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like a upland bird gun to me which would make it find for quail, dove, pheasant, etc....The 20 has really come on in the past couple of years and there are some good loads for turkey available now. The fact that you have a full choke will help you there as well. Decide what you want to hunt with it, pattern a few different shells and have fun.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to get laughed out of my hunting party if I take it down to west Texas with some friends of mine. I believe they hunt pheasants and dove. Maybe quail. I guess whatever jumps up. I could always get a 12 gauge. I don't have one now but have had several. But if I don't need to then I'll use the 20.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Should look like a Mossberg 500, since, IIRC, Mossberg made those for Montgomery Ward under the MW trade name of Western Field. Should make a dandy bird gun- and you really don't want to shoot up a couple of boxes of 12 g a day! I have used a 20 g pump as a dove gun for years- light, swings well.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Should look like a Mossberg 500, since, IIRC, Mossberg made those for Montgomery Ward under the MW trade name of Western Field. Should make a dandy bird gun- and you really don't want to shoot up a couple of boxes of 12 g a day! I have used a 20 g pump as a dove gun for years- light, swings well.
That's a good point about shootin' a lot of 12 gauge shells. Last time I shot up a whole 25 box, I was in high school. The older I get, the less I think recoil relates to masculinity. Now, I really don't like my shoulder bruised for a couple of days. Yes, I think I'll try the 20 gauge as my new bird killer.